1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Prevent to connect wifi while wifi turned on

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Thunder Kim, May 24, 2017.

1. Thunder Kim

Thunder Kim Lurker

Hello. Sorry for my English. I just want to tell some issues about wifi. I call it Zombi Wifi. Which is the opened and non-secured wifi signal but you actually unable to connect the internet. Usually, Zombi Wifi request account and password when you try to connect internet via browser. It exists for specific users who have the account. There are Zombi Wifi everywhere in my country (Asia). I found one Zombi Wifi in Canada, too. My device and my ex-device always, both android automatically connect to opened wifi regardless which is Zombi Wifi or not. And I actually connected to the Zombi Wifi and can not connect to the internet. Even the wifi has strong signal. Because I don't have the specific account, I didn't sign up, and it was the Zombi Wifi. I have to turn off the wifi manually, in order to use the internet outside. If I forgot to turn on wifi when I arrive my place, I exploit lots of mobile data. So I had better to check the wifi all the time.

In the case of Microsoft Windows, It does not connect the opened wifi automatically. I have to connect manually on Windows, but Android. Because of the security I know. Maybe google is so proud about their android security or somewhat reason. I hope there is some way to prevent to the opened wifi automatically. I already checked the android setting but there was nothing.

cortega619 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I can say it's certainly NOT normal Android behavour to automatically connect to any open unsecured WiFi networks "Zombi WiFi" it finds, any more than it is with Windows. It's definitely not Google's intention or design. And in fact I've only read about this happening a couple of times before, with certain Sprint version phones a couple of years ago, but Sprint might have fixed that now because I've read nothing since. Indeed it is very undesirable and possibly risky behavour, a device promiscuously automatically connecting to any open unsecured WIFI it finds. I know there's Project Fi from Google, basically an MVNO that uses available WiFi hotspots, are you subscribed to that?

What phones have you actually got there that are doing this?
    Are they unlocked but Sprint version devices? Could be worth you checking with the manufacturer's tech support about it. Open unsecured WiFi networks will often have capture pages, where you do have to enter passwords, registration information, payment details, etc., before giving internet access. And frequently found in places like hotels, malls, restaurants, airports, colleges, universities, etc. And will find them pretty much anywhere in the world, not just Asia. Also there might be unconfigured WiFi routers lying around, just plugged into power, but not the internet.

#2 mikedt, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017