1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Preventing malware / spyware ?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by john1975, Jan 6, 2014.

1. john1975

john1975 Newbie
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Seems like the more the years go by, the darker our society becomes....to the point where it's hard to trust anyone.

People don't trust each other = they get more anxious....turn to anti-depressants...and who knows what else.

so anyway....my point is : whats new and exciting regarding anti-malware anti-spyware protection for our Androids ? Seems like anybody that has physical access to our phones for just like 10 seconds could install something so simple that can monitor and email to his location everything about us...voice chat, phone images, im, email, etc. The more I YouTube this stuff, the more easy and routine it seems it's becoming over the years. I'm YouTube'ing it for the sole reason of protecting myself, from whatever's out there. .

Which brings the million dollar question : what were these phone companies thinking about by never installing antivirus protection on our phones ? oh , I forgot...they wanna track us all too.

thoughts?

Advertisement

2. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    There's antivirus applications for your devices.

Personally, I've yet to meet a way to bypass my devices, but then, I always run encrypted with a system PIN. With a proper ROM, you can't mount the internal storage w/o logging into the phone, preventing a casual user from dropping files into it. WIth better ROM's (CM, OmniROM, to name a few examples), ADB itself requires an RSA fingerprint which... Must be logged into the device, so ADB is auto-rejected until it's approved. I've yet to see functioning PIN bypasses for source-built ROM's not modified by an OEM, and the encryption is pretty damn good, so not sure what there is to worry about.

Other than that, use FOSS Apps (F-Droid) and reputable App Stores (Amazon, Play Store). Read product reviews, etc.

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Opinion or fact?

It's the physical access thing and knowing what's happening to it. I think of your smartphone as being like your wallet. Do you leave your wallet lying around and losing sight of it? Probably not.

Some manufacturers do pre-install security software, even if they haven't there's plenty to choose from if you want to use it. Personally I've had no need for it because I know exactly what I've installed on my phone.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I think its peoples perception of society thats darkened. News coverage pandering to peoples apparent lust for fear.
    But thats probably for a different forum ;)

mikedt and dibblebill like this.
  5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    The last topic with a similar angle ended up closed because it degenerated into pseudo-political discussion mingled with snide personal remarks based on unrelated posts in other sub-forums. We don't want to see a repeat.

Keep the debate on-topic, civil and relevant please.

6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I run the free version of Nortons and it scans every app I install no mater what the source. It is automatic and free and from my view ... maybe it will find something some day.

There was the slip through a year or so ago with a bunch of bad apps from Play Store. I don't know how they were detected.

... Thom