• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Prevents Random Shutdowns?

Jack45

Android Expert
Jul 13, 2010
Captivate Keep Alive

A new, free app in the Market that claims the following:

"Prevents the Samsung Captivate from randomly turning off when fully charged. This app prevents the CPU from sleeping while the battery is above a threshold you set - which stops the random shutdowns."

I have no idea about its usefulness, but thought I'd alert those suffering from random shutdowns about its availability. Will this app avoid having to exchange phones - or is it snake oil? Feedback would be helpful for others similarly affected.

>>> It would seem that if a phone randomly shuts off there is something wrong with the phone and it should be replaced.

That's correct, and an action I've advocated "forever."

>>> Isn't using an app to prevent random shutdowns like putting a bandaid on the problem?

Yes. There are several causes of random shutdowns, with only one connected to high charge levels. Many have elected to use Captivate Keep Alive to address that particular cause and wait for Froyo which, some have speculated, will fix the issue. If it doesn't, exchanging the phone is still an option.

For others where a high charge level is not the cause, the only sane option is to exchange the phone.

Upvote 0
Captivate Keep Alive

A new, free app in the Market that claims the following:

"Prevents the Samsung Captivate from randomly turning off when fully charged. This app prevents the CPU from sleeping while the battery is above a threshold you set - which stops the random shutdowns."

I have no idea about its usefulness, but thought I'd alert those suffering from random shutdowns about its availability. Will this app avoid having to exchange phones - or is it snake oil? Feedback would be helpful for others similarly affected.

Well I don't have daily shutdowns but I do get 1-3 a week. Usually when the battery is almost fully charged. I installed this application, 3 days ago and, knock on wood, I haven't had a shutdown yet.

I know the common thought on here is to have the phone replaced. I'm worried that I'd just end up swapping issues. I had my new phone replaced, after thirty days, on Warranty because it wouldn't leave airport mode consistently. The phone had no shutdown issues, and the GPS was reasonably accurate. I could use it to navigate. The refurb unit, has shutdown issues and the GPS didn't work until after the patch and gps restore. It's still not as accurate as the first new one.

So I don't disagree but I do feel like a refurb one is still a crap shoot. I guess if you do it enough times, sooner or later you might get one that doesn't shutdown, the GPS works and it doesn't get stuck in airport mode. I'll probably live with this one until a little closer to the end of the warranty and then start swapping them, with the hopes of getting a newer build.

All in all, I love the feature set of this phone but it feels like it was rushed to market and that Samsung and AT&T are doing nothing to address the known issues. It feels like a REV 0.9A board. I'm hoping for a REV 1.0B.

I really think a class action lawsuit is justified on this product. There are enough known issues that are not being addressed to justify a recall of defective units. At a minimum we should be able to swap these for NEW build, non-refurb units that Samsung knows the bugs have been fixed on.

GPS accuracy/lock problems
Random Shutdown issues
Stuck in Airport mode

Again, without these - I'd be in love with my Captivate. With them, I'm dreading having to wait 2 years to get a new phone and with the limited selection on AT&T - Really wishing Verizon had comparable coverage in my specific area.

Upvote 0
>>>
>>> Isn't using an app to prevent random shutdowns like putting a bandaid on the problem?

Yes. There are several causes of random shutdowns, with only one connected to high charge levels. Many have elected to use Captivate Keep Alive to address that particular cause and wait for Froyo which, some have speculated, will fix the issue. If it doesn't, exchanging the phone is still an option.

For others where a high charge level is not the cause, the only sane option is to exchange the phone.

In the case of the shutdown with high charge level, I have 3 days without shutdown using the software. I'll try and remember to post back later as time goes on. Not that it matters but I'd agree if you have constant shutdowns and they aren't related to battery level, you have no other choice than to exchange the phone. Especially, If you are under 30 days, exchange quickly and repeatedly until you get one that works.

However, if you are like me and only have them when it's a high charge level(only a few times a week) and are over the 30 days. Give the software a try. Otherwise, again - it's excellent advice - get the phone replaced until you get one that works. (If you can.)

I know someone with the leaked Android 2.2 and it doesn't affect the shutdown issue in his case. Now maybe the release 2.2 will be different but based on this thread - I'd say not. I think most cases are hardware and maybe a few are hardware and software related.

Sorry, just my 2 cents worth. Personally, I think Samsung needs to give anyone with hardware issues a new build phone or this is class action material.

Upvote 0
Well I don't have daily shutdowns but I do get 1-3 a week. Usually when the battery is almost fully charged. I installed this application, 3 days ago and, knock on wood, I haven't had a shutdown yet.

Ok, so I was outside snow blowing with the phone in my pocket, inside of my leather holster. The phone shut off by itself.

I have had this shut off every in this scenario before. So, I'm not sure this is related to the battery almost full issue. This is my second Captivate, does anyone out there really have one with no issues?

Upvote 0
From what I've been reading I must be extremely lucky. I've had no problems at all with my Captivate. The GPS works as good as any smart phone GPS even though I don't use it for any navigating. I had a dedicated GPS in my car. I rooted my phone and flashed the rom to the Cognition 2.36b rom and it made the phone even better and still no crazy problems. This is why I think those with GPS or shut down problems must have bad hardware or they are running apps that are creating the problems. I can't imagine that my phone is so special so there must be many others with absolutely no problems too.

Ok, so I was outside snow blowing with the phone in my pocket, inside of my leather holster. The phone shut off by itself.

I have had this shut off every in this scenario before. So, I'm not sure this is related to the battery almost full issue. This is my second Captivate, does anyone out there really have one with no issues?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones