• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Previous bad experience with an HTC phone - Reason to be hesitant with the DNA?

My very first smartphone happened to be the HTC Droid Eris. Sadly slow even when I rooted it. Thus making me, as my subject indicates, hesitant to give HTC another chance with my latest smartphone choice.

I'm needing to buy my new phone at retail price in order to keep my unlimited data, so I want to be certain with my phone choice. Opinions?

We've had 5 HTCs in the family since 2010, of those one that I picked up in 2011 had a bad radio, exchanged the next day with no issues. Two from 2012 are flawless.

HTC has come a long way since the Eris days.

Agreed,i have 2 HTC phone Rezound and DNA,and have had next to no issues,when you buy a low end Android phone that is what you get low end,regardless to who makes it.

Upvote 0
The only HTC devices I owned before the DNA were a Windows Mobile Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2. I loathed them both and swore I'd never buy another. I put Android on the TP2, which brought me here. I've owned a Moto Droid 1, a Moto Droid X, a Galaxy Nexus (Toro) and wanted to give them another shot when the DNA was announced. Paid full retail and never looked back.

I can honestly say that this is the best device I've owned. Build quality is top notch, the radio kicks ass, best screen around and the battery life is amazing. I'm shocked at how many people look over this phone. It's a sleeper for sure.

The development is now coming on full swing as well.

I'll probably replace the DNA this year with something else but not because I dislike it...just because I'm a nerd and want a new device every year.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I also had the HTC Droid Eris and it was slow. That and the Motorola Droid were the first android devices for VerizonWireless. I believe that the Eris just didn't have enough power under the hood. I have had the HTC Incredible 2 for 2 years and it has performed really well. I would certainly consider the DNA, but for me, it is a tad big. I will look to HTC again whenever I get ready to upgrade.

Upvote 0
I also had the HTC Droid Eris and it was slow. That and the Motorola Droid were the first android devices for VerizonWireless. I believe that the Eris just didn't have enough power under the hood. I have had the HTC Incredible 2 for 2 years and it has performed really well. I would certainly consider the DNA, but for me, it is a tad big. I will look to HTC again whenever I get ready to upgrade.

I went from the Inc4G to the DNA, and yes, it did seem a bit big. It really isn't, though. It is just as pocketable as either the Inc2 or the Inc4G. It's very thin an the curve of the back really helps as well.

Bottom line is that the DNA is, by far, the best Android device I've ever used.

Upvote 0
I too had the Droid Eris and hated it then went to DX2 and hated it as well. Wound up on a iPhone for two years (4 and 4S) and just got the DNA. Other than the SIM card issue, I have no issues witht this phone so far...I LOVE IT! Like others have said, the 5" screen is NOT too big for my pocket thanks to the sleek design. Also, battery life is really good for a 4G phone.

Upvote 0
I have a lot of co-workers ask why I got a phone that is "so big," and then I let them hold it. It feels so good in hand that size has never been a concern. It's certainly pocketable in everything I wear.

This is my first smartphone I had a LG Dare before this, and always made fun of people carrying around "mini-tablets" as a phone. I looked at other Androids, and was even considering an iPhone 5 and HTC Windows Phone 8x, but after I saw the DNA in person and saw the screen...it was the most beautiful screen...I had to have it. I could not be happier...the size has not been an issue, and actually feels more comfortable in pockets when compare to my smaller, lighter (but thicker) LG Dare.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones