• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Previous Pre/Pixi/WebOS users, what say you?

cfrock

Nov 17, 2009
Anyone coming from the Pre/Pixi/WebOS to the Moment? What are your thoughts and comparisons? I think Android generally rocks. Though WebOS seems to have it merits too. Granted I have only limited experience with it while in several Sprint stores. What say you?

That's what I'm thinking. Pretty impressive out of the gate. Ingenious way to really incorporate 'touch'. Specifically, not just press an icon or swipe to next page but adding 'gestures' to expand on basic touch. Along the evolutionary lines of 'pinch to zoom' etc. I will say for what it is, Pixi seems a solid device. The biggest detriment I read of is the lag. Is it that bad?

Upvote 0
IMHO, it doesn't matter how good webos is. Apple got there first in people's minds, so they'll easily retain their spot in the smartphone limelight. Android is the alternative for people who don't want vendor lock in. That leaves webos. (I realize that there are others like WM, Symbian, etc, but justified or not, in people's minds, these are last generation operating systems.) If you want to run webos, you're limited to a couple Palm made devices. If you want to develop for webos, no matter how easy it may be, your customer base is limited to those who have purchased Palm devices. I like Palm as a company, but I think they've missed the point at this stage of the game. You can't beat the iphone by trying to be a better iphone, you have to be better at being different, and that's not the way they tried to market this thing.

Upvote 0
I had a Pre for a couple of months, and on the surface WebOS is pretty nice, but as AndroidSPCS says, the hardware is a little half baked, and the build quality isn't there. Then as you dig deeper into the OS, well, it's half baked too. Missing many features that are standard on nearly every phone, smart or not. Things like no video camera.

Then there is the app store, nothing ther but a toy box, and not many toys at that.

I gave my Pre to my step son, and bought a Moment. I'll not be looking back any time soon.

Upvote 0
My wife got a pre shortly after lauch, she loves it. Honestly it's what made me finally want to drop my winmo phone. I love webOS, but the devices don't suit me. So at work, I noticed a guy had a G1 and I played with it a bit. Found it to be very suited to me and reminded me a lot of what I like in webOS and had what I could not find in winmo.

However, I will say the modding community is so big with winmo, I am missing that, but then again, I'm not finding the need to flash my phone cause the stock OS sucks like I did with winmo.

Android is till young, but growing rapidly and maturing. 2.0 is not there yet, possibly in the next release. I'm on-board for the ride though, I really like it. My wife's pre is somewhat the same sans the larger app catalog. WebOS could be stunningly advanced if Palm would let it be on non-palm devices, but the modding community for Palm is quite strong and we've installed some things that have made webOS even better.

As stated earlier, winmo is still living in the last generation and could learn alot from webOS and Android.

Upvote 0
My wife has had Pre for several months, so in a way I'm a Pre Admin. WebOS is elegant and smooth where Android is burly and brutish. Palm has been updating and adding features at a decent pace. There is also a very active hacker community. The keyboard on the Pre is a initial turnoff for many including myself, but is much better than it looks. The overall build quality is disappointing, the Pre feels cheap compared to my Moment. The battery life leaves a lot to be desired too. The Pre's basic camera while lacking in features takes better and quicker pictures than the Moments. The WebOS card interface is great, but onscreen widgets can make Android quicker and more convenient to use. The browser is no contest, the Pre's browser is superior to Androids in speed and its implementation of multi touch. The sales numbers for the WebOS devices have been relatively weak which hasn't attracted a lot of developers to the app store. While it's true that the store isn't very old, there are few apps and growth is at a snails place. The proportion of paid vs free apps is inversly proportional to Android (or iPhone)too. Unless you're willing to pay, there isn't a lot to do in the store anyway. Apple has successfully made the smartphone market all about the app. If Palm doesn't find a way to inject a lot of activity into thier store very soon, WebOS will not survive IMHO. My wife likes her Pre (with exception of the battery life) but if if we were shopping for her now, I would be recommending a Hero or a Moment over the Pre.

Upvote 0
things are rapidly changing...The Garnet Group predicts by 2012 Android will be the largest OS after Symbian. Android is google...google has lots of money and of course has google...they can do many things like no one else can...and as the incorporate their diversification...we will see lots more. their open source is why many programs are comming out quickly and more phones as well...This has to get iPhone thinking fast. For a while they were able to prevent their customers from having bluetooth...because if the had it they would be able to purchase products from people that are not licensed by Apple...Every ipod, iphone owner had to buy Apple licensed everything...( unless they knew how to search for hacked etc. good stuff.
My big problem at this time is that i had Palm Treo 755p. and the software spoiled me. I have a Samsung Moment and not happy ( yet ) very poor and lacking a good search and find function. Poor calendar and contacts...too many steps to make entries and look up things...and a lag a do not like. This has me to a point that i am considering turning in my Moment before the 30 day trial is up...Then i do not know what to get...oh well... good luck everyone and i hope your phone is giving you the pleasure you want..

Upvote 0
i came from a pre since launch. battery life was poor, oreo effect was bad, and the limit on the number of apps was very frustrating to me. I had about 13 apps and couldn't load any more cause it had no more room. I have 149 apps on my moment. Most are apps i use often and some are games, but all are free. i looked on the pre app store and most are paid apps. very few are free. even the useless fart app is 1.99. I'm big on apps but webos is very disappointing in that game.

Upvote 0
WebOS is already a force to be reckoned with and this time next year I will likely convert.

I certainly hope Webos has success. Competition is what gives us the best services, prices, and so on. I have been a palm user for a long time and i liked it a lot. Sadly Palm has had its problems. They were at the top and then whatever caused their financial and other difficulties brought them down. Now they are trying to get back and again...sadly for them after the Pre came out....Android started to make a big splash and they do not seem to be slowing down. If Palm does not soup up their OS and come out with some great phones and software.....they will come upon tougher times....and maybe someone will buy them... At this time i am hesitant because i do not know if they will be in business...Remember...Palm has had tough financial problems. I know Android will be here....Of course i do not want it if i will not like it....However if they continue to allow the open source freedom...and the the hardware that seems to keep on comming....will certainly make them king of the hill....and if not....at least the platform will still be here....
I am rooting for palm and do hope they succeed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones