• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Primary Reason you want a tablet?

Primary Reason your want a tablet?

• Total voters

Chrome Cat

Dec 17, 2011
USA
I find it difficult to get a large amount of information on what I want in a tablet. The majority seems to want them for other reasons.

So, out of curiosity, I'd like to know YOUR primary reason for wanting a tablet. What one thing do you want one for most?

• internet
  • videochat/networking
  • media (movies/tv/music)
  • e-reader

My apologies if there is something that isn't listed.

Thanks for your input.

My main reason would be portability.

I often take my laptop to work to watch films on long, boring night shifts. It's a pain lugging it in my rucksack on my bike (especially when the weather over here is terrible at the moment), so a tablet would do the job perfectly for me. I'm looking at a 10", as even at that size, it's smaller and more portable than my 17" laptop.

I hope my boss doesn't venture in to this section :p

Upvote 0
It's kind of a toss up, but I chose e-reader because one of the main reasons I bought my 7" tablet was to carry a bunch of books and collected comic books in the most portable way possible. Aldiko, ACV and Comic Book Inventory serve me well in that capacity.

But I also hook my tablet up to my home entertainment center on a daily basis and stream music from Sky.fm and TuneIn Radio.

And it's nice to have a small tablet next to me while I watch TV, so that if I get curious about something I can check the internet for it instantly.

So those are the three main things I do with my tablet on a daily basis. I find I don't watch movies as much as short subjects and half-hour TV shows, although I have taken it over to a friend's house and plugged the HDMI into his TV and streamed movies.

And then there's all the other things I use the tablet for...

Upvote 0
I'm like most people, I want one for a few reasons. But my primary reason, I think, is to be able to watch movies/tv shows on it to pass the time. I always seem to be WAITING around places for people or on flights or whatever and it would help to have something to make the hours go by.

While I may want it for internet, I won't be able to get the tablet I want from my phone provider so it's cheaper for me to keep internet in my phone. Let's face it - Wifi SUCKS, it's like saying NO internet and we all know it. I'm frugal so I feel like the 3G hotspot services are too expensive right now. I just don't feel the prices are fair. I think I will get a prepaid Virgin Mobile hotspot though, that way, at least I can find out just how much internet I actually use before committing to $75 a month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones