1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Prime or Not, Xoom 2 maybe?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pacothebandit, Nov 26, 2011.

1. pacothebandit

pacothebandit Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 11, 2009
    I am super close to having the cash for this guy, well before it's released. I dont expect to many biased opinions on this site so ill ask here. Since @gamercore wont reply to my tweets!

Should this be my first android tablet??? I am in no way new to android and currently own a NS4G But maybe I should wait for the Xoom 2 but Im afraid of the unspeakable horrors Motorola will do to it, cut down with some crappy custom configuration before it even gets a chance.

What do you guys think. Yeah i know the specs but cmon, its Asus...but it also is Nvidia and Android...so its more like an Asus shell with all the goodies inside.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

2. zflamewing

zflamewing Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    NOC/IT Professional
    Atl
    I've wanted to like the Xoom and seriously look at the Xoom2 but after reading a lot of the reports on how it's taken so long to get features that were promised at launch has soured me on the Motorola Tab. I'm not in any way saying it's a bad device at all I just feel a bit let down by how it's launch was handled. I've heard a lot of positive press and feedback from friends on the original transformer. The stats on the Prime look really good and their track record for fast updates on the transformer has my attention. I've bee fan and customer of Asus' other hardware and been building desktops for family members and myself with their motherboards for over a decade now. I'm getting the Prime. Could the Xoom2 turn out better? It could but I'm not willing to wait and see at this point. Your mileage may vary

andygu3 likes this.
  3. Rastor

Rastor Member
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    First, do you need it by December 25? If so it's Xoom 2 if you're in Europe and Transformer Prime if you're in North America.

If that's not a consideration, I have to say the Xoom 2 doesn't wow me. For one thing it's only dual-core. Does the usability and extended battery life of the Transformer Prime keyboard attachment excite you? If so, jump on the Prime. If not, I think the competition is not actually the Xoom 2, but the rumored Acer and Lenovo tablets with quad-core, more RAM, and 1080p displays.

andygu3 likes this.
  4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    How they handled the first Xoom was a farce - 4g required sending the tablet back, SD card support was not turned on and came loooong after and came only as read access at first - for that alone I would pass on the Xoom.

This ASUS IS the industry benchmark and tons of pundants on electronics site admit as much. The rest will be playing catch up.

Easy, easy, easy choice for me.

5. Cobravision

Cobravision Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Not only has Moto shown that they're terrible at building tablets, their Xoom launch set back Android tablets 1 year. There is literally nothing about the Xoom 2 that makes me want to own one. In contrast, the Transformer Prime has me salivating. If the Prime was Asus' first offering, perhaps I'd be more cautiously optimistic. But the first Transformer was an excellent product whereas the Xoom was a failure.

So based on specs and track record, the Prime is the slam dunk winner here.

6. Peterpoose

Peterpoose Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 22, 2009
    I am probably one of a few that liked the Xoom. The way Motorola dealt with the updates for it I wouldn't buy another Motorola device again.

I managed to somehow take my 3g/wifi Xoom back after 6 months from Carphone Warehouse and now have

7. pacothebandit

pacothebandit Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 11, 2009
    Wow thanks for all the great opinions. I am in agreement thanks to you guys, the Asus does in fact look amazing and based on your likes of the first one ill make my choice based on that. Im getting soooo close and will prolly be ready to buy on its release day!!

Thanks guys!