• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Prime will not update stuck on HTK75.US_epad-8.8.3.27-20111122

L

Lostsorrow

Has anyone run into this issue?? I can not update my prime when I select system firmware update. Also my prime does not register its serial number in it, the prime is currently displaying "unknown" Any ideas and thanks ahead of time????

-Lostsorrow

UPDATE: I got a human to answer the phone at Asus and I had to manually load the update from their website. If anyone does not know how download the file to your PC. Next unzip the file and put the Asus directory onto the root of your micro SD card. Navigate through the Asus folder and unzip the update file inside few folders deep and copy the unzipped update folder to the root of the SD card as well. In my case I had on the root of my sd card an Asus Directory and the US_epad8.8.3.33 folder. Make sure a copy of the update folder stays in the original spot of the Asus folder as well. Insert the card into the tablet and the tablet should auto detect it. Hit ok and the tablet will reboot itself. Make sure you back up all your stuff just in case before you update, sync with google, etc....

Yeah bad news- those of us who got jacked up units that don't register serial numbers are effed. Several of us have already called ASUS about the issue- only to be brushed off and told there's nothing wrong with our units (even though we can't get OTA updates because of the problem). If you can still take your unit back- do it. Odds are you can't root your device either. Yay ASUS.

Upvote 0
I sat next to lost sorrow as he was on the phone with asus. They fed fed him a line of crap stating that none of their tablets have a serial number hardcoded in software and that the only places the serial number exists are on the box and the sticker on the bottom edge. I went through this same scenario with those bs tablets that inattention sold two years ago from Augen.
I am currently waiting for my replacement prime from office depot, should be in on friday. I am going to turn it on, and if it lists unknown under serial number, I will be posting it on eBay, since office depot only has an exchange policy. I will update when possible.

Upvote 0
EDIT: Doesn't look like the Firmware on there is Android 4.0.3.

Glad you got it to work.

For others having same issue, firmware (NOT ICS yet) can be downloaded manually in the Firmware section at...

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201

Directions are in the "Updated Version of SOP(English)" file under the "Manual" section. READ THEM. :D

Can also find a very expanded Manual as well as a FAQ in the Manual section.

(Edited for accuracy)

Upvote 0
How did you get a replacement prime? I called officedepot just a little bit ago, and they said they could process a return but had nothing in stock to send me and no date for when they'd have more in.

When I processed my exchange on the 7th, they still had 10 in stock in texas warehouse.

On another note the same asus rep also claimed that ics is not out yet and the version that everyone is using now as of today is probably a malicious version and to not download it. Which I find hysterical because in the other threads, it has been confirmed that it does in fact come through as an automatic update.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with tech support, they advised me not to manually update due to major problems with the update that could render tablet unusable. As far as the lack of serial number, they said they are aware of problem and are working on a solution that will be rolled out globally. Who knows??

Well the long story short is that Asus told me I needed to ship the tablet to them to resolve the issue. No serial number in the kernal means no OTA updates period, thus no ICS :( Upgrading, factory whipping, Flashing recovery (power and volume down) and the reset button will not resolve it. The only way to fix it is to ship it in. They are covering the cost of the shipping because I told them why to I have to pay for shipping on a tablet that was messed up new out of the box. They agreeded and its going out to Fedex today. As long as it doesn't get thrown over a fence it should arive there safely (I hope :eek:) I will be without the tablet for at least 7-10 business days or in english a min of 2 weeks. Hopefully it comes back fixed. I will update again when I get it back if the thread is still alive.

Upvote 0
Way more useful than what I was told. Called yet *again* last night, and they utterly refused to admit there was a massive problem with my unit. I waited on hold for over an hour for a supervisor, who then refused to be helpful. So I left a message with his manager. But Office Depot is picking up the unit for a refund today. I'm tired of this BS.

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with ASUS and after they had me do a factory reset, I still have the Unknown Serial number issue. They tell me that the only fix is to send into service to be fixed. I told them I want them to send me a replacement unit and they refused, they said contact the seller and see if they will replace the unit. Next I called BestBuy who I purchased it from and explained everything to them. BestBuy has a 14 day return policy on tablets, I am just 7 days outside of that policy so they will not help me.

So bottom line is a device that I have had for less than a month will have to be sent in to service for God knows how long, to fix something that could probably be corrected by a firmware patch. So if you have the same problem and purchased from BestBuy return it right away before you are outside of the 14day period.

BTW BestBuy also stated that if I was a silver rewards zone member I would have 45 days to return.

I am very unhappy with Asus and BestBuy for their lack of customer service!!

-Pete

Upvote 0
Well on a positive note, shocking to say with how Asus has been handling things, they did pay for the shipping to get my tablet back to them. I wont have it for 7-10 business days from the point they receive it which should be on Tuesday. This is the first tablet I ever owned so I guess it's not necessarily the end of the world to have to wait for it to be corrected. With all the current rumors going around about recalls and petitions to Asus, I'm trying to stay positive with the mindset of that they now have my tablet in their hands to fix all the issues people have been complaining about. I did however include a grocery list of issues/complaints on there official service ticket that had to be filled out and sent with the unit. If there is going to be a recall then they already know what needs to be fixed and they already have my tablet to do so. In the long run even though there was a lot of frustration and naive reps on the phone with Asus, be it by luck, I got a rep after multiple calls that wanted to solve the problem. At this stage in the game the only thing I am losing is time with the tablet and have a "hopeful" outlook that everything will be corrected.

Upvote 0
Same issues here, bought from Office Depot. Called ASUS support, since ICS isn't on their website they haven't offically released it.. yeah right.
First call, updated to 8.8.3.33 manually no change.
Second call, factory reset
Third Call boot reload android
Fourth Call calling OD to send replacement.

Upvote 0
Well Asus paid for the shipping and it only took 6 days for it to get there. Must have been a lot of fences in FedEX's path. They are currently repairing it and I am assuming it arrived in 1 piece or I would have received a call. I will update further when I get the tablet back to see what was and was not fixed. I will post photos. Just as as CYA I included pictures of the tablet not broken or dented up along with the serial number at the time it was put in the box for shipping to help prevent any instance of customer neglect vs. FedEX handling. Thank god it arrived there in one piece.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Asus and now my tablet is no longer in a repairing state but now a Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging status. According to Asus after "repairing" my tablet Asus decided that I now need a part which is what the WD5 code stands for. Obvisouly there is an issue going on here with these tablets. I had no serial number in my kernal and if reloading the OS was going to be the solution then why does there need to be parts ordered. I did mention the Wifi/Bluetooth/Gps issues on their service ticket form as well. To top things off Asus has gone back on their statement now that they have my tablet with the repair only taking 7 to 10 business days to repair to now a timeline of when parts are available we will fix your unit and send it back. Sounds like they are looking to MacGyver a solution. I will give Asus the additional days to fix the problem and hopefully it will be fixed in the 7 - 10 day window but fate seems to be showing something else. Stay tuned for future updates.........

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones