1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Printing from Android - which printer to buy?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by d3matt, Sep 14, 2011.

1. d3matt

d3matt Newbie
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    I after some help. In our house we have three Android phones and an Asus Transformer tablet (as well as two Windows PCs) and I'd like to be able to print from at least the tablet. I've tried Google Cloud print on my phone and it did work ok, but of course I had to have my PC on and it was limited to just a few apps that it would work from.

We now need a new printer in the house, so I'm about to buy a WiFi colour printer. So before I choose one, I wanted some advice as to what printer/facility would be best for printing from the Android devices? I've seen that some HP printers have an e-print facility.

What I'd ideally like is to be able to print from the Android devices, but without the PCs switched on. Is this at all possible?

Advertisement

2. d3matt

d3matt Newbie
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    I've just watched a video on the HP e-print facility and it is one way of doing it - email what you want direct to your printer. Will be ok for some documents & photos, but not ideal for printing others - like a web page or email etc. And not particularly friends for my wife & daughter to use.
    I'd ideally like a print option in the app.
    Also been looking at PrintShare, but not installed it yet. Looks like this relies on the PC.

Can I do what I want or do I need to use both technologies to achieve this? Or is there anything better? As for the hardware, do I need to be considering a HP printer?

3. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Male
    Retired Nurse
    Brighton. UK
    Kodak and Cannon do well in consumer tests here and have the lowest charges for ink cartridges

4. d3matt

d3matt Newbie
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    After spending hours and hours last night looking into this, I ordered the Epson SX525WD. Although out of stock everywhere else, Electrical123.com had them at