• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Printing to Dell V715w

Thanks for the suggestion about Cloud Print, but it turned out to be a no-go also. Although this is the first app that actually caused the printer to respond, the print output is almost unreadable... a pale pink color on what should be plain black text.

There are a bunch of cryptic option settings for my printer that are not explained anywhere, so I tied all possible combinations. These mystery options are coming from the Google Cloud service (not the app), as I see the same options (and get the same poor result) even when attempting a test print from the pc via the cloud. Yet, the printer works fine from the pc via USB or wifi, when test printing the same file.

Anyone else...?

Upvote 0
Hallelujah, success! I''m finally in business with EasyPrint. I was having difficulty setting a default printer, which is necessary for it to work (no instructions naturally), but I got it eventually. It's a bit clunky... requiring both the pc to be on and Google Chrome loaded, but it works. I'm still looking for a better solution, since this is a wifi printer and it should be possible to print direct without requiring the pc and a specific browser to be running.

Upvote 0
If it's a wi-fi printer that supports Cloud printing, you don't need to print through Chrome.
From the EasyPrint description on the Market:
"EasyPrint works over Google Cloud Print. Google Cloud Print can connect to to any existing printer on Windows or Mac with Internet access that uses the Google Cloud Print connector within the Google Chrome browser."

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I discovered that there was a f/w update available for my printer. After installing it, I decided to go back and try some of the apps that had failed earlier. Since my Dell V715w printer is made by Lexmark and essentially the same as their model Pro715, I decided to try the Lexmark app first. Nope - still nogo. It could not even find the printer on the network or acknowledge its existence... even after manually entering the printer's ip address. Bear in mind that the Pro715 is one of the printers listed as "supported." I guess this is an example of why it is so lowly rated on the Market.

Next up, I tried my first choice, PrinterShare. To my pleasant surprise, it now works perfectly (and better than EasyPrint). This does everything I need for now, so I'm not going to test further.

It still kind of annoys me that Samsung made a big marketing splash announcing that its last update to the GTab 10.1 added native printing, but they failed to mention that it is only for Samsung printers. Arbitrary bs like this will backfire on them. They may think it will cause people to buy their printers, but it just makes me want to never buy another Samsung product at all (and this from a household with 2 Samsung phones, 2 Samsung tablets, and a Samsung dishwasher).

Upvote 0
I am having trouble printing through wifi also. I can use print share with Google chrome, but I want to print through direct wifi. I have a Toshiba Thrive, with android. My printer works well with the PC's in the house. I am worried the firmware update will cause other problems. Did you notice any issues when you updated your firmware? Also I want to be sure you are able to print through wifi now?

Upvote 0
The firmware update was nothing but good for me. I still can't print via wifi, but as long as I can print SOMEHOW, I no longer care. PrinterShare does find and correctly identify my printer on wifi, but there is no driver for it, so thus no wifi printing. For my occasional print requirements, this works fine... and it's free.

Forgot to add that even though my pc has to be turned on, I do not need to leave Chrome running. If the pc or printer happen to be off when I send the print job, it gets buffered until turned on. It all works smoothly, so I think this is the best I can hope for until drivers become available for this printer on wifi.

Upvote 0
PrinterShare does find and correctly identify my printer on wifi, but there is no driver for it, so thus no wifi printing. For my occasional print requirements, this works fine... and it's free.

I agree with you, Printshare was not working efficiently on my PC, so i just jumped to the google cloud print as it works efficiently and smoothly with wifi. Well, there are also many other printing techniques you can use, but the one i like the most is Cloud print.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones