1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Prior to root, Backing up Wireless Hotspot data question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by virodeath, Apr 23, 2010.

1. virodeath

virodeath Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I am getting ready to "try" to root my phone and the one bit of info that I would like to save is all the wireless hotspot locations/passwords I have collected. What is the best way to do this?

I am also wondering, I have read several threads on people rooting their phone back one version to the 2.05 I think it was. Why would you do that? I thought I read there is a 2.1 working root correct?

Thank you in advance for you time helping me

Viro

Advertisement

2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe Titanium Backup can save your WiFi stuff (it is a market app)... No there is no way to root a phone with 2.1 on it, you must flash back to obtain root then you can upgrade to a 2.1 based ROM...

3. virodeath

Dec 29, 2009
    Will I loose my hotspot data upon rooting backwards?

Viro

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser

Nov 7, 2009
    Multi-platinum Rapper
    Illinois
  5. ska.t73

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dang it Fab!!! I forgot about both of those... >.<

6. virodeath

Dec 29, 2009
    Hey thank you guys, I didn't realize that the Hotspots were synced to my goggle account. Also thanks for the link, going to go give this a try in an hour after dinner. Will post my results.

If I may ask another question, once I find a Rom I like will I have to re-root my phone every time I want to install a new Rom or does one overwrite another or is there a software I need to manage them, I thought I read about a Rom manager but haven't actually researched it yet.

OH and is there like a site or a link somewhere that the android community keep all the mods and Roms at or do you gota kinda just Google everything?

Viro

7. ska.t73

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    RomManager is an awesome app to help you manage and install your ROMs... I would suggest going to sites like allDroid, CyanogenMod, and DroidForums for ROMs and themes. You will not have to re-root your phone with each ROM.

I would advise that you read everything you can about ROMs and how they work and what they do. It helps a lot and you will be able to do so much more with your phone. As a first starter ROM I would suggest something like Pete's Bugless Beast or even FABs remix... (both are available on this forum)

8. virodeath

Dec 29, 2009
    Thank you very much guys!

Viro

9. virodeath

Dec 29, 2009
    Ok so I want to make sure I understand this correctly, I am going to install the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf instead of the VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03. sbf
    ??

and then (going to quote you out of this thread:)

so I find a Rom I like, go through the install I just quoted and the phone will automatically be rooted as well as having the Rom I like.?

Viro

10. virodeath

Dec 29, 2009