• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Privacy and Problems...Help Please.

vampathy

Lurker
Dec 22, 2011
icon1.gif
Hey yall
Hey yall. I'm a newbie here but not a newbie to android but not as advanced as some. I do have some questions and would appreciate any and all advice I can get.

Since verizon updated my phone and said that the update is why my phone was not connecting well it has been a nightmare. My phone is now more sluggish and the touch sensitivity is slow. Also there are lots more problems with the pictures I take messing up or not saving at all. My biggest issue to date are the new apps that are collecting and storing my personal info from the phone as well as the pictures I have never looked at before, never seen or saved on my phone showing up only when I download pics I have taken to my pc. (Example: I had 162 pics on my phone but 694 pictures downloaded to my pc. About 100 of those I had deleted a few months prior after downloading to pc and the other 400 were pics of people and things I have never seen before. I don't know who those people were!!!) How the heck are they on my phone??? I have also noticed new apps on my phone I am unable to delete that are ticking me off and I feel are not only an invasion of my privacy but dangerous. They are apps called 'Data Collection', Data Collector Service', Data Collector Provider', 'Sync Service' and lots more.

With the update I am no longer able to save a contact into my phone with it giving me only two options: sync with google or sync with verzon. That's all kinds of wrong!!! I shouldn't be forced and yet the verizon techs like to say 'Oh no mam, we aren't forcing you to do anything' I then say 'Ok so then why don't I have an option on there of saving it just to my phone?' They can't answer.

I am thinking I want to root my phone and take back control of what is mine or else go back to Blackberry or move to Apple. I just don't know what is best for me yet. Can anyone help me with all of this? I need to talk to others.

-vampathy

is this the Gingerbread update? .605 i presume?

have you tried a factory data reset?
you might want to try wiping the cache partition

to do that, power your phone off
hold down your home button and hold power, and when you see the phone power on, release the power button, and continue holding home, til you see the android exclamation , on gingerbread you need to press both vol up and vol down to access it, on froyo just the search button.

once your in the menu, scroll to wipe cache partition, and select it with the power button, when it is done, reboot the phone. it may or may not work.

so let me know

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response and help...its greatly appreciated. Its Gingerbread. Wiping the cache partition did nothing...that I can tell. I have not done a factory reset. The tech support at verizon told me that would work and then turned around and said that was a lie when I called back and that it would not take the update off. Also I would need to find a way to back up (write down all my info and apps) cuz it will wipe them off the phone right? What do you suggest? I want to take all the 'big brother apps' that will not stop running or delete and remove them from my phone. Is that possible?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones