1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Privacy -> Automatic Restore???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by johnb41, May 2, 2012.

1. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    I was having an issue with my phone, so I decided to to a factory reset. I was concerned that all my settings, and progress in all games would be lost since i'm not rooted and don't have/use Titanium Backup.

But I notice a setting in Settings -> Privacy -> Automatic Restore. The description for it says:

"When reinstalling an application, backed up settings and data will be restored"

So I thought, "Great! All my progress will be stored in the cloud and then easily restored", so I proceeded to do the reset. Now i'm installing all my apps again, and nothing is getting restored. Am I not understanding what this feature is? Is this feature not working?

Advertisement

2. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    There is some schedule, or trigger, which initiated the backup process...never found out what it is. However it goes beyond your installed apps. Your settings (e.g.email acct. info) and files are backed up "to the cloud" as well.

It's all a little to invasive for me,but going forward, give it a few hours for everything to be backed up, prior to a full reset.

3. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    I still don't understand. The option was "checked" the whole time, so I assume at some point it was backing up my game progress. (i don't care about settings, all i really care about are the hours i put into games!)

Are you saying I needed to do something else before doing the factory reset? So now I'm unable to restore any game progress?

4. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    It depends on the game, where it is installed (phone vs. SD card), your background sync settings, etc.

5. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    Most games store your "save point" on the internal /data folder, which you cannot access or backup without being rooted; if you are rooted, "Titanium Backup" will do the job perfectly 90% of the time. Unfortunatuly if you are not rooted, there is no way to backup app data. If you already did a factory reset, I'm sorry to say the games are gone. :(

The "restore data" button is supposed to re-install your apps and some of the settings of the phone when you reset it, but I'll be 100% honest, out of the 10 different android phones I have used/owned, I have yet to ever see anything fully restore with that feature.