• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Pro Clip Holder misses the mark...

I ordered the new Pro Clip holder with tilt swivel mount. Problem: You have to remove your case in order to mount it. WTF? Doesn't everyone have atleast some sort of case on their Droid / EVO? Maybe I'm way off here...

EVO

Sorry but there been NUMEROUS threads/posts about what to order from ProClip if you have a naked EVO or an EVO with a case.

The ProClip holder is designed for a naked EVO. Each case manufacture has a different size (width, depth) so there is no way for ProClip to know. Thus the adjustable model.

Upvote 0
It didn't miss the mark. You didn't do your research, especially when I have multiple threads on the first two pages of this accessory forum with the adjustable holder and the official holders.

This isn't the iphone. Outside of Seidio, no one is making a powered holder for a phone with a case on it. If you haven't realized that by now after how many years of smartphones and powered holders, well then...

Now you're on the hook for an extra $10 worth of shipping if you want to return and re-buy. ProClip's adjustable is probably the best universal solution out there and should last you long after you've moved on from your Evo and even your car.

Search is your friend. And if you want to return the fixed one and get the adjustable, I can at least save you some bucks on the reorder. Let me know.

And try searching before dissing a product. You do a disservice to those that take the time to research before they buy by posting threads like this.
I ordered the new Pro Clip holder with tilt swivel mount. Problem: You have to remove your case in order to mount it. WTF? Doesn't everyone have atleast some sort of case on their Droid / EVO? Maybe I'm way off here...

EVO

Upvote 0
It only misses the mark at $80 because he didn't go through me to make it cheaper :) If you want a quality custom solution for your vehicle so you don't junk up your car with windshield mounts, things sticking up from the top of your dash or screwing with cheap vent mounts and ugly *ss ratchet grip holders, then go on the cheap. I have a nice car and prefer a clean dash setup. And you can go with a panavise mount for under $20 on ebay along with the adjustable mount and be around the $60 mark. I'd do that over the "official" mount any day which is useless with an encased phone.

Upvote 0
He may have bought the wrong one but at $80, it still misses the mark.

Proclip may be on the pricey side, but keep in mind that you are getting customized solution to fit both your vehicle and your phone/device, and the quality of engineering and construction is top notch. I have seen enough $20-30 mounts that either don't work well to start (resulting in falling devices) or that start failing after 6 to 12 months.

Before I bought my first ProClip configuration a couple years ago, I was very hesitant due to the price, and if not for the recommendations from others I probably would have went with something else. But I think I paid around $60 for the car and phone mounts at the time. As soon as I got it out of the package, I was already feeling relieved before even installing it ... and after using it for two years it was still as good as new. (And I am still using my original car mount from back then, so when upgrading my phone, I just had to get a new phone holder, although if you go with the adjustable version, you don't have to worry about that cost either if you change phones.)

I do understand the sticker shock, especially when trying to budget in a mount after spending a lot of money on the phone and other accessories, but I love the peace of mind knowing that the mount isn't going to fall off the dashboard or that my phone isn't going to fall out of the mount. And, had I gone with some other mount back with my old phone, it's quite possible I would have went through several different mounts by now that could have easily added up to $60-80.

Upvote 0
It only misses the mark at $80 because he didn't go through me to make it cheaper :) If you want a quality custom solution for your vehicle so you don't junk up your car with windshield mounts, things sticking up from the top of your dash or screwing with cheap vent mounts and ugly *ss ratchet grip holders, then go on the cheap. I have a nice car and prefer a clean dash setup. And you can go with a panavise mount for under $20 on ebay along with the adjustable mount and be around the $60 mark. I'd do that over the "official" mount any day which is useless with an encased phone.

And this ^^^^^^^ :D

I posted a mini-review in the other thread for the Evo mounts, not sure if it offers anything useful, but it has my initial impressions and I took a few photos as well. http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-accessories/156505-proclip-car-mounts-evo-pics.html#post1471665

Upvote 0
Got the hook up from dbpaddler (thanks) and ordered two sets. One for our Camry and one for our F150. Installed them today.
Both sets fit into the panels well. The F150 is so tight I didn't use the adhesive strip. We'll see if it works that way as I'd rather avoid residue if I remove the clip. If it works itself loose, I'll use the strip.

Everything lined up well as far as screws/fittings on the F150 clip. The Camry was another matter.

I had to drill out the holes to mount the phone bracket to the dash mount. The didn't line up and were too small for the bolts to pass through. As for the two very small holes to attach the phone mount to the shim for the vehicle mount, one hole was not drilled all the way through.

We'll use them but all in all, I still think they miss the mark at this price point.

Upvote 0
just a quick update on this thread-

I ordered the proclip setup for both of my cars (mustang and F150) from dbpadder (outstanding service / seller) . for my evo.

my phone sports the evo factory case and by reading this thread and sending countless emails to DB i knew i needed the adjustable holder, two car mounts and the move system

LOVE the pro clip and and it took all of 30 minutes to install this in both of my cars-

now I did have one small issue on the adjustable mount and it could have been because i didn't follow the instructions but the nut on the back plate where swivel mounts to was not secure. what i mean was when i tightened the swivel to the mount the nut would pull out BUT no problem as a dab of super glue held it in place

sure this was the most i ever spent on a mount BUT it looks great - the phone is secure, and with the adjustable mount, the system will not become obsolete if i change phones down the line

as a side note - I also wired the phone into my head units so it would play through the car speakers (alpine 9884 and alpine 9835) and i also hard wired a hidden power supply in my mustang and i'll just use a standard charger in the truck

Upvote 0
Hey Steve,

There should be a sticker (has the item # on it) holding the nut in place so the center screw engages it. I know I've rippped mine off over time and I just hold the screw in place until the screw engages. Or you can just take a small piece of tape or a small sticker and keep it in place. Though glue work just as well. If you have any problems, let me know.

Upvote 0
Hey Steve,

There should be a sticker (has the item # on it) holding the nut in place so the center screw engages it. I know I've rippped mine off over time and I just hold the screw in place until the screw engages. Or you can just take a small piece of tape or a small sticker and keep it in place. Though glue work just as well. If you have any problems, let me know.

yup i removed the sticker in error as i don't like stickers my mistake but again a little super glue and it's rock solid - an awesome mounting system

Thanks again for everything Ryan!!

Upvote 0
Ok..my bad. I think at the time the mount was brand new since I was an early EVO user. As a matter of fact, I was on the waiting list since Pro Clip was waiting for a phone so they could finish their design.

Let me follow up by saying that I now keep my phone naked anyway. The Pro Clip is OUTSTANDING. No clutter on the dash and very very accessible. I love it.

However, now that I have gone with the 3500 battery, I'm going to have to get the adjustable. Oh well....

Upvote 0
that's why I always suggest the adjustable, especially when you know you'll want some dual core goodness at some point. It's a waste of money to buy the specific holder for most of the phones out there now that don't have a microUSB port on the bottom sides.

If you want to save a few bucks, let me know. You can always keep the standard holder or throw it up on ebay to make a few bucks back.

Upvote 0
that's why I always suggest the adjustable, especially when you know you'll want some dual core goodness at some point. It's a waste of money to buy the specific holder for most of the phones out there now that don't have a microUSB port on the bottom sides.

If you want to save a few bucks, let me know. You can always keep the standard holder or throw it up on ebay to make a few bucks back.

Thanks man- I'm on your site now looking at the adjustable. It lists for 39.99. I already have the mount, so I'm looking at Item # 875214. I'm def going to list the other holder on ebay.

Again, my bad for putting up a post that made it seem as though it was negative. The product is high quality and extremely clean. The install is super easy and quite innovative.

Upvote 0
It only misses the mark at $80 because he didn't go through me to make it cheaper :)

Okay, I looked into ProClip about 4 or 5 years ago for solutions for my TomTom GPS as well as my Palm Treo phone, and had to give myself CPR over the $80(+) price back then. I can't believe that 5 years later they're still that expensive -- that's just ridiculously overpriced.

If you want a quality custom solution for your vehicle so you don't junk up your car with windshield mounts, things sticking up from the top of your dash or screwing with cheap vent mounts and ugly *ss ratchet grip holders, then go on the cheap. I have a nice car and prefer a clean dash setup.

See, I have to disagree with this whole paragraph -- I don't feel that the ProClip solution is a "clean" setup. If you're adding anything to the dash, custom or not, you're cluttering the dash. The ProClip usually covers a vent in an identical manner (in overall appearance) to a cheaply made $2 vent mount solution, yet you're paying at least $30 for the ProClip version. Then you're paying $40-50 more for a phone holder to attach to the mount, and in the end, you have a phone mount covering a vent in the same manner as a $2 eBay solution, as well as cluttering up your dash.

I went with Arkon (www.arkon.com) five years ago, and I'm still using it today, two phones and two vehicles later.

Arkon SM425-S 15

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones