• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pro Photographer shoots with Note 2

I'll have to look for the article I read, but it's funny you mention the compact cameras vs. smartphones being used as a camera within a 10 year span, because they showed a picture within an even shorter timeframe, where people at a concert were holding up their small digital cameras vs. nowadays where there was a sea of smartphones instead.

It may very well be true...because of social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). But then again, how many times have these articles been wrong? If everyone is right, then no one would be poor or out of the business. I am sure that the cheapo compacts will die. But, this is where i disagree with Shiva. The high-end compacts will soon take the place of mirrorless cameras. DSLR will not take the place of compacts because they are bulky and heavy. Phone cameras will not take the place of compacts because physics limit the quality of the pics.

The price of high-end compacts will come down. RX100 is the just the beginning...and thus, holds a premium at this time. But, as you can already see, 2013 is just the beginning of big sensor compacts.

Upvote 0
drexappeal and lcneed

yes, it's not even a subject of discussion. the compacts are dead, they'll be out in about the 3 years time. again, there'll always be niche special compacts, but speaking of general market trends the future is just cell phones and then semi-pro and pro cameras. The pro market will always be with us and it's not subject to mainstream layperson's market trends.

I have had this discussion on a few photo sites and couple of enthusiasts always balk at the thought of compacts going away, because they are shooting with $600 compact with small sensors and assuming that the consumer, the general shooting public, would care about that. the public wants cheap, convenient, light, all in one and lack of steps. :)

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
drexappeal and lcneed

yes, it's not even a subject of discussion. the compacts are dead, they'll be out in about the 3 years time. again, there'll always be niche special compacts, but speaking of general market trends the future is just cell phones and then semi-pro and pro cameras. The pro market will always be with us and it's not subject to mainstream layperson's market trends.

I have had this discussion on a few photo sites and couple of enthusiasts always balk at the thought of compacts going away, because they are shooting with $600 compact with small sensors and assuming that the consumer, the general shooting public, would care about that. the public wants cheap, convenient, light, all in one and lack of steps. :)

When it comes to the general consumer (for photography), I'm right smack in the middle of that demographic!...LOL. I had a small/compact 7mp camera, when it was first released, and the pictures still looked awful to me. The LCD screen went bad after the warranty was done and was only able to retrieve a $5 recycle gift card from Best Buy for it, recently...LOL. When my EVO was released, I never felt the need to purchase a dedicated camera (even though the EVO camera wasn't that great at all). Ultimately, I think there will always be a niche group that loves photography, that might still want the compact high-end cameras, but speaking as one in the general consumer demographic, I'm all for having my phone be my dedicated camera.

Upvote 0
see, another silly reply. no, i am a professional photographer discussing a topic that I know quite a bit about. that's called professional mannerism, not just BSing which is what you do.

So, professional mannerism is taking things personally? as if I insulted your beloved grandma? :D

I see that you like to quote your own thoughts...how about bringing some data to the table? Sony, Ricoh, Nikon all must have missed the "trend report" because they are releasing products that fit what I wrote...or maybe, they are just poorly researched facilities. BUT, wait, you said that these products were already in the pipeline...ok, BUT, wait there's more, you said that everything has been planned already.......BUT, how about that first BUT of yours? geez, and you wonder why I am confused! :D

If things are planned already, then why are camera manufacturers releasing high-end compacts? If these compacts take 3-4 years to make (as you proclaimed), then what happened to the "planned" part?

Upvote 0
Here's one point that I can interject, when it comes to the general consumer. The main thing that will keep P&S cameras around are for those that feel the camera on their phone is too "complicated."...LOL. It really is funny, but I have relatives younger than me (in the age where they actually had Windows during High School) and they are way less tech savvy than me, so it's "easier" in their mind to have a basic P&S camera that takes great pictures without using the features on the camera. Of course, I should mention that majority of those relatives are females that have the advantage of carrying a purse everywhere.

I'd never think that this was a sticking point (phone cameras being too "complicated"), but it's something I've heard much too often to ignore...LOL.

Upvote 0
phone cameras being too "complicated", but it's something I've heard much too often to ignore...LOL.

for the general public the new cell phones are certainly too complicated. so many apps, so many settings, so many features. sure I get that.

the younger users typically do OK, because even if they don't know something they'll ask a friend or check online. but for the older non-tech-savvy, I am sure they only get to use 20% of the phone's capabilities. iPhone has been successful in catering to the non-savvy user, specially the older folks. But our phones, NOTE II. :) I have seen only a couple so far in people's hands and I live in NYC and both were male and seemed very much into their phones. :)

Upvote 0
for the general public the new cell phones are certainly too complicated. so many apps, so many settings, so many features. sure I get that.

the younger users typically do OK, because even if they don't know something they'll ask a friend or check online. but for the older non-tech-savvy, I am sure they only get to use 20% of the phone's capabilities. iPhone has been successful in catering to the non-savvy user, specially the older folks. But our phones, NOTE II. :) I have seen only a couple so far in people's hands and I live in NYC and both were male and seemed very much into their phones. :)

Hahaha...My older relatives (non-tech savvy) actually found Android to be easier. Of course, it took me and a couple of my relatives to show them how easy they can make it, but once we started them, they were off and running and didn't want to go back to the iPhone...LOL.

-EDIT-
Sorry, I'm realizing that we're straying WAY too far from the topic of your thread, Shiva. Keep the pro pics coming! Those shots can be translated as wallpapers! Amazing. (And by the way, more pro shots of the models you had on your website would be good too...hahaha).

Upvote 0
Here you see the limitations of the Note II camera sensor's zoom feature. Although I shot with CameraZoom App's steady shot and the image is not blurry, because I zoomed in, most of the clarity of the image is gone. By using our phone cameras' digital zoom we lose so much clarity.

67ead4462897742d6348484fef59a8c8.jpg

Upvote 0
I've heard very good things about "Camera JB+" due to its ability to set jpeg quality, reduced compression.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moblynx.camerajbplus

Would be interested in learning about that on this phone.

On mine (HTC, sorry), the compression was ridiculous and fortunately I was able to get a rooted mod for my stock app that removed that.

Night and day difference for me, so I hope it's not minded that I toss that out here.

Upvote 0
Just saw the new Sony RX100 II. I have to say it is very attractive. With the Wifi and NFC supports, it could just wirelessly transfer the pictures to the Note II and straight to the internet!

I have the first gen RX100 and absolutely love it (got it as an open box at BB for $150 off retail)! :)
Beautiful shots and super compact.
Have you looked into an Eyefi SD card?
WiFi SD Cards: Eye-Fi Memory Cards: Wireless Photo and Video Uploads from your Camera to your Computer & the Web | Eye-Fi
They're pricey but allow you to transfer photos via wifi. I'm really tempted to get one but just haven't made the move yet.

Upvote 0
So I have been using the CameraZoom App which has a great anti-shake function. It's slow and may take 3 seconds for it to take the picture, but when the picture is taken is not blurry.

Thank you for letting us know which App you use. I'm going to give it a try.

Just as another note, although my wife and I did just buy a Megazoom camera for our vacation the Note 2 is now my go-to for taking photos and video. As others have said earlier, I rarely see compact cameras like I once did and now see phones and tablets being held up.

Upvote 0
Thank you for letting us know which App you use. I'm going to give it a try.

You got it. Keep in mind that all that app does is to get rid of blur, the rest is all photoshop.

Just as another note, although my wife and I did just buy a Megazoom camera for our vacation the Note 2 is now my go-to for taking photos and video. As others have said earlier, I rarely see compact cameras like I once did and now see phones and tablets being held up.

Compacts are done with. And phone cameras just took a major leap forward with Nokia 1020. This new Nokia ushers in the Phase 2 in cell phone cameras. As I have said many times, the future will be only cell phone cameras and FF DSLRs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones