1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Pro tip - getting the most out of low-power apps!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NeoteriX, Apr 16, 2012.

1. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert

Protip for the others out there:

For any app I install that requires updates (instant message, social media, etc.), I make sure it is asking for the C2DM (Android Cloud to Device Messaging) permissions, because then the app is implementing Google's low power push API. It generally works quite well (though some times the pushes can be hung up... and oddly enough particularly when on WiMAX 4G) and definitely saves battery.

You can just google for the app name and C2DM and there are some Android app indexes (AppBrain I think?) that will list the permissions.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

This needed its own thread, and will be going into the forum sticky, no question. :)

I took a swag at the title, please use advanced editing on your post to make it as you like. ;)

(Later today, I'm going to _copy_ this post over to scary alien's app permissions thread in Applications - it deserves a home here because it's our issue first, but also there, because it's of importance to the general Android community.)

marctronixx and CriticalCritic like this.
  3. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert

Haha I didn't realize it was so significant, but in that case, I'll augment my post with some more details.

So Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com works well for this, and so by way of example, if you look like the popular Asian messenger, "Line": LINE for Android | AppBrain.com

Near the top it says:
    If you click on "Permissions" you'll get a popup box that provides all the app permissions. Scroll to the bottom under "EXTRAS" and you'll see:

These permissions indicate that Google's low-power C2DM "push" functionality is (likely) being used for the messaging notifications.

Same goes for an app like Pocket/Read it Later ( Pocket -formerly Read It Later - Android app on AppBrain ), which is an Instapaper-type articles saving app. When I save an article to Read it Later on my browser, that gets pushes to my Android device and it starts downloading it to my phone.

Here, the Read It Later permissions are as follows:

And the same goes for the WhatsApp messenger: WhatsApp Messenger - Android app on AppBrain

By way of contrast, the popular Kik Messenger: Kik Messenger | AppBrain Android Market

It does not use Google's C2DM protocol, and implements its own push functionality. Maybe it's as efficient as C2DM, but maybe not. This is somewhere that you'll need to look closely and evaluate carefully using System Panel App or some other per-app battery use tracking software.

Scotlac and EarlyMon like this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews