1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

prob with micro usb charge jack

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jumblebean, Dec 12, 2013.

1. jumblebean

jumblebean Newbie

My maxx is a little over a year old and it seems the charge jack is wearing. Can Verizon repair svc in store replace it? Is it a good idea to get a new battery while they have it opened up?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. How is it "wearing"? They can become filled with lint and/or dirt and need to be cleaned out. A vacuum cleaner and a sharp toothpick might do the trick.

... Thom

3. jumblebean

jumblebean Newbie

Thanks for the thought. Actually looks a little coroted and having some trouble with connections. Is this not an easy fix?

4. A repair shop might be able to clean the corrosion.

... Thom

5. jumblebean

jumblebean Newbie

So I found out there is a broken prong. I am told there is no replacing just the USB jack as it is soldered in. It was suggested by a local repair shop to replace the motherboard with a used one for 80 dollars. Should I have any concerns about this? Security concerns? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any thoughts.

6. jody85

jody85 Lurker

Hope you got your issue solved by now, but for others: Not sure of security concerns...depends on how well you trust the repair shop. Most microUSB ports are designed to last for 1500 plug ins/unplugs. W/me, that's a year or less. Usually much less. I've yet to have a device last more than 6hrs on a charge & the maxx is by far the worst I've dealt w/in terms of battery lasting. I've come up w/some ways to get by but I'll not go into detail here.

***★Do this at your OWN risk★***
    ★*★I take NO responsibility ★*★
    **★**★**for your actions**★**★**

★★***Please read to the end***★★
    *★*★★*before proceeding*★★*★*

As for repairs to the charging port it is possible. Tedious, it must be precise, has little margin for error, & requires steady hands & few special tools. The ports can be purchased from numerous vendors-ebay usually has more than 1 vendor w/them available. You can do a web search & find them as well. You'll need a repairman, or low wattage soldering pencil; flux (liq or paste) 63/37 rosin core .035 solder; desoldering tool is benificial; good magnifying glass, a workplace/bench/table; some type of stand to hold it all steady; a small copper or brass brush; pc board cleaner or alcohol; canned air; & a clean dry place to work. Disassemble phone per instructions on various websites & YouTube sites. Remove solder from old port noticing it's position on the pc/motherboard. W/copper or brass brush VERY CAREFULLY brush & clean mounting are. Again, be extremely careful not to bend anything or scratch any coatings. W/pc board cleaner, clean the area well. W/small brush or toothpick add a minute amount of flux on each mounting contact. Coat tip of soldering pencil w/flux after making certain it has been brushed & cleaned. Plug in soldering pencil. Place new port in place. After soldering pencil has warmed, touch tip to end of solder gathering up a small amount on tip of pencil. Now carefully touch a contact point on the port & PC board. Solder drop should flow from pencil to contact point. If not add a drop w/the spool of solder. Make sure not to overheat at any time as permanent damage can easily happen to the pc board. I am not responsible for any damage/expenses incurred. After soldering a contact allow 5mins of cooling. Now repeat for the other contacts. W/pc board cleaner, clean area well. Inspect for proper mounting, clean connections, proper position, no shorts, & no loose connections. After positive all is connected properly, reassemble device & there you go. Be it known that there are very few w/steady enough hands to do this. Good luck. Again, do this at your own risk. It is highly likely you will short something out or break something. I'll help what I can but I can't do it for you.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews