• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem 4g to 1x signal and WIFI droping MetroPcs LG Esteem

judyq

Dec 4, 2011
I have an LG Esteem on MetroPcs. Had it for a few days now. It won't stay in 4g. Keeps going to 1x. Even when full signal bars. I shut phone off, and turn back on, and it connects to 4g. It never shows 3g.

In addition, When I am in Apps store, using WIFI, it keeps saying No Connection: Retry, then works when I hit retry. I then search for another app and once again, i need to hit retry to get connection. My laptop wifi is working just fine, but phone is wacked out.

I called metro, and they reset the phone while i was on it. Said if it persists to have them reset when I wasn't on it. Honestly, i don't believe them.

Any ideas why it won't stay in 4g in clear metro area? Marietta, GA.

I am thinking of returning it and going with another network if metropcs is the problem. I have used them for years but not on a smart phone, and usually don't have any problem. I see no reason having a 4g phone if it won't work. I can't play my rhapsody playlist because it keeps going to off 4g. And can't load songs.

Thanks!! Judy:thinking:

Reactions: Isisis9
I have an on MetroPcs. Had it for a few days now. It won't stay in 4g. Keeps going to 1x. Even when full signal bars. I shut phone off, and turn back on, and it connects to 4g. It never shows 3g.

In addition, When I am in Apps store, using WIFI, it keeps saying No Connection: Retry, then works when I hit retry. I then search for another app and once again, i need to hit retry to get connection. My laptop wifi is working just fine, but phone is wacked out.

I called metro, and they reset the phone while i was on it. Said if it persists to have them reset when I wasn't on it. Honestly, i don't believe them.

I am thinking of returning it and going with another network if metropcs is the problem. I have used them for years but not on a smart phone, and usually don't have any problem. I see no reason having a 4g phone if it won't work. I can't play my rhapsody playlist because it keeps going to off 4g. And can't load songs.

seems to be a common PRL issues nowadays. Before everything, try downloading an app called "restart connection" found in market for free. when you install it, set the app in home screen and press it. It will restart your LTE data and it should kick your connection back to 4g.. if not then follow here;

first of all you can try resetting or updating your prl by simply calling *228 and pressing menu 5 or by saying "roaming list". it will update your phone's current PRL which your 4G data connects to. after all this your phone then will restart and have the prl ready.

Wait, there is more!!!!. YOU can also try forcing an update to a greater PRL. i suggest you to follow these instruction if you know how to mess around with computer and stuff.. :

http://androidforums.com/lg-esteem/426653-update-prl-using-qpst.html

and here are the available PRLs. i recommend the 3025...;

http://androidforums.com/lg-esteem/433515-prl-post-thread-current-prl-3026-a.html

So go give it a shot.

Upvote 0
seems to be a common PRL issues nowadays. Before everything, try downloading an app called "restart connection" found in market for free. when you install it, set the app in home screen and press it. It will restart your LTE data and it should kick your connection back to 4g.. if not then follow here;

first of all you can try resetting or updating your prl by simply calling *228 and pressing menu 5 or by saying "roaming list". it will update your phone's current PRL which your 4G data connects to. after all this your phone then will restart and have the prl ready.

Wait, there is more!!!!. YOU can also try forcing an update to a greater PRL. i suggest you to follow these instruction if you know how to mess around with computer and stuff.. :

http://androidforums.com/lg-esteem/426653-update-prl-using-qpst.html

and here are the available PRLs. i recommend the 3025...;

http://androidforums.com/lg-esteem/433515-prl-post-thread-current-prl-3026-a.html

So go give it a shot.

Thanks, I downloaded the app "restart connection" and, YES, I am good with computers :D JUST totally new to Android, and don't understand why i can't PROGRAM THE DANG THING THE WAY I WANT. HA. I looked at the links you provided and I am able to follow the directions and will do Monday.

Any ideas on the wifi?

Additional Details: I walk at a park around a number of baseball fields, There is a cell tower right there. I can walk around the fields at random points it drops the 4g signal . I restart the phone, and typically it starts in 4g. When I walk around the fields again, the signal is once again downgraded. And this phone never shows 3g.

I will go back to the park tomorrow and test the new PRL's and report back. I also had a problem driving about 5 miles from my house. No 4g, all in the 1x or 1g connection. When I arrived at location the phone changed to 4g. (on top of a big hill). I restarted phone before drive home , and it stayed in 4g the whole way home. So, it is very wishy washy!!!! In addition, this WIFI connection thing is driving me NUTTY!!!! I ended up turning off the WIFI and used the 4g connection i get here to download apps because WIFI kept disconnecting.

All i needed was another thing to set up and fiddle with! I got gear comin out the wazzo! I thought this would be my first plug and talk piece of fun... NOPE! LOL. Till tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I downloaded the app "restart connection" and, YES, I am good with computers :D JUST totally new to Android, and don't understand why i can't PROGRAM THE DANG THING THE WAY I WANT. HA. I looked at the links you provided and I am able to follow the directions and will do Monday.

Any ideas on the wifi?

Additional Details: I walk at a park around a number of baseball fields, There is a cell tower right there. I can walk around the fields at random points it drops the 4g signal . I restart the phone, and typically it starts in 4g. When I walk around the fields again, the signal is once again downgraded. And this phone never shows 3g.

I will go back to the park tomorrow and test the new PRL's and report back. I also had a problem driving about 5 miles from my house. No 4g, all in the 1x or 1g connection. When I arrived at location the phone changed to 4g. (on top of a big hill). I restarted phone before drive home , and it stayed in 4g the whole way home. So, it is very wishy washy!!!! In addition, this WIFI connection thing is driving me NUTTY!!!! I ended up turning off the WIFI and used the 4g connection i get here to download apps because WIFI kept disconnecting.

All i needed was another thing to set up and fiddle with! I got gear comin out the wazzo! I thought this would be my first plug and talk piece of fun... NOPE! LOL. Till tomorrow.

uhmm. just to be sure. are you in Metro pcs 4g coverage? if so, then yeah updating the prls might fix your issues about drops signals and all that. and as i said before, everytime you loose 4g try using the restart connection. it kicks you back to 4g if possible, well at least that's what i do and it works.

and as for the Market. try clearing all your Market data and cache from settings. if you don't know go to Settings>applications>manage apps>look for Market> then clear Data and Cache...

Reactions: Isisis9 and judyq
Upvote 0
This is what I have to go through at work.

At work I'm about a mile outside of the 4G signal, according to the metro coverage map.

In order to get a 4G signal I usually have to put the phone in airplane mode for a couple of seconds than back to normal.

Phone orientation plays a part in keeping the signal. Holding it vertical I get a consistent 1 or no bar 4G. Holding the Esteem horizontal I get 3 bars but can't keep 4G.

I don't understand why it works, but it does.

Reactions: judyq
Upvote 0

At work I'm about a mile outside of the 4G signal, according to the metro coverage map.

In order to get a 4G signal I usually have to put the phone in airplane mode for a couple of seconds than back to normal.

Phone orientation plays a part in keeping the signal. Holding it vertical I get a consistent 1 or no bar 4G. Holding the Esteem horizontal I get 3 bars but can't keep 4G.

i kinda had the same problem. try downloading "restart connection" in market and give it a shot. This app helped me regain constant 4g connection as well as forcing updating the prl...

Reactions: Isisis9 and judyq
Upvote 0
This wont help your 4g issues but a neat app to check cell tower locations is called Antennas. It will show you cell tower you are connected to on a google map. It does not report Metro towers correctly as far as if it is 1xrtt, 3g or 4g but it does show where the tower is located. It is cool to drive around and see which tower it switches to. Open Signal maps is another one, cooler in fact but the widget seems to slow my phone down quite a bit so I just use Antennas.

Upvote 0

Weird! Just so you know, I am 100% in the MetroPCS coverage map. Not even close to edges when this happens. All along Scufflegrit Rd in Marietta to Roswell Rd, and Sandy Plains from 75 to Shallowford.

I am trying to find my SPC to do the QPST thing.

Upvote 0
Weird! Just so you know, I am 100% in the MetroPCS coverage map. Not even close to edges when this happens. All along Scufflegrit Rd in Marietta to Roswell Rd, and Sandy Plains from 75 to Shallowford.

I am trying to find my SPC to do the QPST thing.

to find your SPC for your phone simply download an app called "MEID converter" for free in market.

then before you open the app, write down your IMEI in a paper or something, found at settings>about phone> status...

then open the Meid converter and type the IMEI that you wrote down, and press calculate. That'll be your SPC.

Upvote 0
I have an LG Esteem on MetroPcs. Had it for a few days now. It won't stay in 4g. Keeps going to 1x. Even when full signal bars. I shut phone off, and turn back on, and it connects to 4g. It never shows 3g.

Jeyd02 and everyone else, THANK YOU.

Update: I was able to enter the new prl via the links you provided. I needed to use "MEID Converter app" to obtain the SPC number.

the link to whitrabbit website provided me with an incorrect spc fyi.

"restart connection app" was fantastic. I tested out the new prl at the park, and it did stay in 4g all the way there. Then while walking around the park, it dropped to 3g (ok), I hit the "restart connection app" and it grabbed 4g again. WAHOO. As for the connection speed. The apps that Nuked suggested were great, "Open Signal App" was the best, i could do signal speed check, (what is typical? I had ping averaging and much more. The "Antenna app" didn't work and wouldn't connect via gps at all.

Since the SPC update, apps have been freezing and crashing. Not sure if it is just coincidental. Rhapsody, Yahoo, Antenna, etc- All froze on me, and didn't before trying to fix. I use rhapsody prior to this smart phone on my home computer and love it. It freezes on 3g and 4g connections, so, not sure what to think at the moment.

My wifi seems to be working as well now. If it stops working properly, i will start a new thread. I also had to download a different voice to txt search because the stock one didn't recognize "TEXT JOHN", OR "text charlotte" seriously, that is bad LOL

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Upvote 0
Jeyd02 and everyone else, THANK YOU.

Update: I was able to enter the new prl via the links you provided. I needed to use "MEID Converter app" to obtain the SPC number.

the link to whitrabbit website provided me with an incorrect spc fyi.

"restart connection app" was fantastic. I tested out the new prl at the park, and it did stay in 4g all the way there. Then while walking around the park, it dropped to 3g (ok), I hit the "restart connection app" and it grabbed 4g again. WAHOO. As for the connection speed. The apps that Nuked suggested were great, "Open Signal App" was the best, i could do signal speed check, (what is typical? I had ping averaging and much more. The "Antenna app" didn't work and wouldn't connect via gps at all.

Since the SPC update, apps have been freezing and crashing. Not sure if it is just coincidental. Rhapsody, Yahoo, Antenna, etc- All froze on me, and didn't before trying to fix. I use rhapsody prior to this smart phone on my home computer and love it. It freezes on 3g and 4g connections, so, not sure what to think at the moment.

My wifi seems to be working as well now. If it stops working properly, i will start a new thread. I also had to download a different voice to txt search because the stock one didn't recognize "TEXT JOHN", OR "text charlotte" seriously, that is bad LOL

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Uhmm. Try rebooting your phone so the app can start fresh . That'll probably fix the freezing.

I recommend downloading "fast reboot" so your phone cleans really good...

Upvote 0
ok old thread brought back...
After the metro update my phone sometimes has the 4g and wi fi on at the same time, there were many other issues I got worked out but it's not the same, the update screwed me

Mine is doing the same thing now. Sometimes it shows 4G and wi-fi at the same time. I'm just becoming very annoyed with the disruptions in data. At home my phone continually goes from 4G to x1. I'm at work now and shows I have 4G with full bars. Yet, I have no data connection. Wtf?

Upvote 0
Mine is doing the same thing now. Sometimes it shows 4G and wi-fi at the same time. I'm just becoming very annoyed with the disruptions in data. At home my phone continually goes from 4G to x1. I'm at work now and shows I have 4G with full bars. Yet, I have no data connection. Wtf?

That phone is a piece of crap that is what is happening. Any cheap android phone from metro now a days is better than the esteem.

Upvote 0
well the piece of crap worked just fine before Metro decided to screw it up. I'm not going to blame a 3-400 dollar phone for something that Metro did

That phone is worth $80 bucks on amazon. If you bought it for $400 from metro you got ripped off. I used that phone for a year with metro and i got fed up with it. Constant reboots, short battery life, lagging all the time. God i am so glad i changed it. I tried the Lg optimus f3 and it is a huge difference.

Jump ships dude. There is no shame on it. Your phone is a dinosaur.

Upvote 0
That phone is worth $80 bucks on amazon. If you bought it for $400 from metro you got ripped off. I used that phone for a year with metro and i got fed up with it. Constant reboots, short battery life, lagging all the time. God i am so glad i changed it. I tried the Lg optimus f3 and it is a huge difference.

Jump ships dude. There is no shame on it. Your phone is a dinosaur.

ok I got ya...I have it about 3 years and at that time it got good reviews, I guess I am behind this times, still Metro shouldn't roll something out that screws with some peoples phones and do nothing about it, at least offer us a better phone at a discount...lol:D

Upvote 0
ok I got ya...I have it about 3 years and at that time it got good reviews, I guess I am behind this times, still Metro shouldn't roll something out that screws with some peoples phones and do nothing about it, at least offer us a better phone at a discount...lol:D

I just read my last post. I apologize if i came off as rude or condescending.

Upvote 0
Lovit, you esteem is old and outdated, I just have my replace due to all the same issues you are having even after the software update it didnt work, last resource after I went over to the corp store, they change the phone to a LG connect..no problem since them, i do have some network issues but i think is due to the merge with tmobile..

my 2cents are go to a corp store and complain about the phone, they may replace it for you..where in FL are you?

Reactions: Louvit
Upvote 0
Lovit, you esteem is old and outdated, I just have my replace due to all the same issues you are having even after the software update it didnt work, last resource after I went over to the corp store, they change the phone to a LG connect..no problem since them, i do have some network issues but i think is due to the merge with tmobile..

my 2cents are go to a corp store and complain about the phone, they may replace it for you..where in FL are you?

Brandon Florida

I didn't buy my phone from them so they may not help me, But I'll try. I went to the store twice but that was only for the updates I'll go complain and see where it get's me...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones