• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help problem connecting to hidden WiFi in workplace. Help appreciated.

Bully74uk

Apr 21, 2010
Wiltshire, UK
Hi there

My workplace has a WiFi connection thats hidden in the sense that if you do a scan it wont show up however if you manually add the SSID and WPA etc then normally you can connect to it.
I could connect to it using my previous handset, an HTC Desire and my colleagues at my desk who all have iphones can connect and stay connected without any problems so i know 100% that its a working network.

My problem is that i cant seem to get my GNex to connect properly to the network. When i add the SSID and pass key etc it recognises the network and even says that its connected, strong signal etc BUT.... most of the time the wifi indicator stays greyed out and even when it does go blue there doesnt seem to be any connection, gmail wont refresh and neither will facebook, web pages wont load. All this with a connection thats supposed to be connected ! Occasionally if i switch wifi off and back on the indicator will go blue and it will work briefly but then it seems to drop out.

Wifi at my house is no problem, it connects every time and stays connected. I was away on business recently and the hotel had Wifi which again the phone connected to no problem so the problem seems to only be with this particular work network.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what the problem might be please ?

do you use any Wifi connection managers that will turn wifi on automatically if your near one to get you off your 4g...

do you have any battery managers like Juice Defender

they greyed out means that your not fully connected to Gmails services i believe. It doesnt mean you dont have any connection i know some So if you have a Wifi Manager or a battery manager this coule be keeping your from connecting. try disabling them

Upvote 0
OP do you know if your work has implemented any new security on the network recently or maybe added mac filtering?

Im not sure, but if they have, wouldnt it affect the iphone users in my office as well ?
The WiFi does drop out occasionally for them but i tried again earlier with an iphone colleague, he could access web sites and my GNex just hung and didnt load dispite it the settings showing me as connected.

Im at home now connected to WiFi with no problems. I just cant get my head around why it doesnt like the work network !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones