1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Problem Connecting to WiFi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rosie Rabbit, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Rosie Rabbit

Rosie Rabbit Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hi,

I'm new here, having just got my first Android phone (and my first smartphone), the Desire HD. I only started using it 2 days ago, so please be gentle with me! ;) :)

I have had a look at some other threads before posting, but my problem seems to be a little different.

I can't seem to connect to my home WiFi network on my phone. When setting the phone up, it scanned and picked up my WiFi, and my phone is recognising the name of the network. So it can see it.

But whenever I try to input the network password, I get the message "the network passwork you typed was not correct" and it won't let me connect. I've never seen the WiFi icon on the status bar.

Now, I'm 100% sure that I am typing the correct password, so I'm unsure what is going wrong.

Can I reset the router and choose another network password when starting it up again? Or is something maybe wrong with my phone? Is there any way of checking what my WiFi network password is, just to double check it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The WiFi network password for a lot of routers nowadays is displayed on the bottom of the router. Have a look there.

What sort of router is it?

Rosie Rabbit likes this.
  3. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Hi there,

I know that there were/have been problems with Android 2.3 and not being able to connect to certain routers... perhaps you're having the same issue? What version of Android are you running? On home screen, press menu ==> settings ==> (scroll to the bottom) select about phone and it should tell you what version you have on your phone.

Also, I don't think it'd do any harm to reset the router - that way, you'd be able to set up the password and be confident that you were using the correct one when trying to connect your DHD. :)

Rosie Rabbit likes this.
  4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Alternatively, you'd get the pasword as El Presidente says...

Hadn't thought of that!! :)

5. Rosie Rabbit

Rosie Rabbit Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thank you both for your quick replies.

I've had a look on the bottom of the router and there are various numbers - serial numbers, etc. Have tried some of them, but no joy.

It's a Linksys router - it says Wireless-N Home ADSL2+ Modem Router, model no. WAG120N.

I've checked the version of Android and it's 2.2

I might reset the router if that would help.

Thank you :)

6. El Presidente

VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Is there anything on the bottom which says WEP Key or WPA Key?

Also, when entering the password, there is a little tickbox next to the password field that says something like "show characters", make sure that is checked so you can see exactly what you're typing on the phone.

And when you say Reset, do you mean turn the router on and off, or a hard reset by inserting something into the reset hole?

7. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Before you reset the router... there should be a WEP key or something like that on the bottom... that's what you want! :)

8. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    lol - you seem to get in there before I get chance... too many distractions here! :)

9. Rosie Rabbit

Rosie Rabbit Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    There's nothing on the router which says WEP or WPA key unfortunately. There's a serial number, a MAC number and an FG number but no WAP key.

Yes, I've made sure on the phone that I can see what password I am entering. Sadly that didn't help!

With resetting the router, I wasn't sure exactly what to do, so would have asked for advice before trying anything.

Oh dear, I'm sounding clueless, aren't I?! :eek:

Thanks for your replies. :)

10. El Presidente

VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    We're here to help :)

Random question, but what version of windows are you using? Windows 7?

11. Rosie Rabbit

Rosie Rabbit Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thanks - yes, it is Windows 7.

I have actually just solved the problem - I thought of going to the Linksys website and seeing if I could get live help from a techie there.

The password I was using was the correct password for the Linksys website, but obviously wasn't what was required on my phone. With the online help, I got to a page where a WPA key was available, and he told me that was the one to use. I tried it on the phone and it's now connecting to my home WiFi.

I'm not sure how I was supposed to know what key to use though, given that it wasn't anywhere on the router or box. Or maybe I'm being thick in some other way!

Anyway, problem solved thankfully - thank you very much to all who have posted. :) This looks like a great forum - I'll be checking out the other sections to make the most of my phone.

12. El Presidente

VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    My homehub password came on a little plastic card thing. My old Linksys, there was a sticker in the box. Maybe yours just got lost somewhere? Regardless, you're connected now, that's the important thing.

Anyway, read the stickies and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay and the phone. :)

13. Rosie Rabbit

Rosie Rabbit Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thank you. :)

Yes, I guess I must have had the key at some point as I would have needed it to set up my WiFi connection I suppose.

I'll go and read the stickies and find my way round. Thanks again.

14. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    You should be able to log on to your router online via the IP address for the router and check out all your settings there.

I found my router IP address by googling "eircom router address"; once in you can view/reset your WEP/WPA key and do various other admin functions.

(I discovered this cos I have to switch from WPA to WEP when my nephew visits with his nintendo DS as the games are WEP supported)

15. El Presidente

VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It's also viewable in Windows 7 (maybe Vista too) if you right click your connection, then press properties.

16. Rosie Rabbit

Rosie Rabbit Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Goreygirl - Thank you. This is what the router support person was guiding me through online - it was really helpful and I now know how to access it online if I need to.

El Presidente - I have just found the key by doing what you suggested - thank you. It's easy when you know how!!