1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Problem connecting to Wifi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tombob, Jan 4, 2013.

1. tombob

tombob Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 10, 2012
    At work we have an 802.1x EAP wireless network, PEAP MSCHAPV2. I have connected my Sprint Marquee running current versions of CTMod on nearly a daily basis for the past year. Recently, the security certificates for the network were updated and I can now no longer connect to wifi at work, although I can still connect to wifi just fine at home and everywhere else in the world. IT support here doesn't have a clue. I have been searching for a solution for the past several weeks, but no joy. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions short of a hard reset, which is where I am likely headed. Thanks.

edit: should have said that I already tried the FXR wifi fix and rescue app and the Android certificate installer app, but no luck with either.

Advertisement

2. jojocat

jojocat Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Same problem for me with CTMod - certificate issue if I try to use the 802.1/PEAP/MSCHAPV2. I cludged around installing some root CA certificates, but didn't get it to connect. We also have a very functional non-authenticated network, so I didn't pursue it. I recently switched back to the "unleashed" kernel (requires a wifi driver swap) and will try again soon to see if that has anything to do with it.

tombob likes this.
  3. tombob

tombob Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 10, 2012
    Thanks, I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. I tried a hard reset and still couldn't connect, so I am thinking it isn't a certificate issue after all. Maybe it's a kernal issue instead, but I really just don't know what to think.

4. jojocat

jojocat Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Well, I'm afraid I wasn't able to figure out the problem. Our work uses Aruba equipment, and our wireless authenticated network is 802.1x PEAP/MSCHAPv2 backed by radius auth. When I try to connect, the auth is rejected by the radius server. The radius server is getting my identity well enough via the aruba authenticator - I can tell that because the attempts were enough to trigger a lockout on my account. So at least in my case here, the problem seems to the response to the challenge after supplying the identity - ie, the password is getting mangled.

We don't use a private certificate authority at work. The radius server uses a thawte certificate, so just the thawte root CA cert is required to validate it, and I was able to confirm with the "CaCertMan" app in the play store that it's in my marquee's certificate store.

I googled a good bit and played with settings with "WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor" from the market, but didn't have any luck. Debugging from the radius server is about the only other avenue, but I didn't want to press our network admin on that. The radius server has to be run in foreground mode for debug so it's sort of a pain.

If you get anywhere with this at your work, please post back.

5. tombob

tombob Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 10, 2012
    Thanks for that information, here is another user reporting the same problem back in November: http://androidforums.com/marquee-al...mod-3-75-final-11-18-12-a-24.html#post5226112

Also, you mentioned the password getting mangled. That reminds me of the bluetooth password issue when 3.75 first came out described here: http://androidforums.com/marquee-al...mod-3-75-final-11-18-12-a-24.html#post5222332

and fixed here: edit- see wetbiker's post below

Unlikely to be the same thing, but your comments just reminded me of that problem.

6. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal
    tombob likes this.
Tags: