• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem downloading Apps to my new HTC

andreu76

Lurker
May 30, 2011
Hi there!

I just bought a new HTC Wildfire S in China. After buying it I realized there are two problems:
1) In China there is no access to Android Market, but to one that is called "HTC Market" which does not have any interesting application.
2) Because of that I try to access the Android Market using PC and download apps, but the following error occurs: "There are no Android phones associated with this account". Obviously, I have a Gmail account since many years ago.

I've searched through Internet and it seems many people have the same problem. For me it is hard to understand that all those people (including me) cannot download any app. from the Android Market! They are free anyway, right?
There must be a way around that people use, right? Does anybody know why no one is able to fix this error?

Thanks a lot guys!

Andreu

You have access to the Android Market. I'm in China, and I've had by phone for 1.5 years here. Just use the Market application on your phone.

However, the Great Firewall is inconsistent and changes daily. Occasionally I don't have access to Gmail, or it's incredibly slow. In that case, I can't use the Market app either. You also rarely have access to other Google services (like Picasa or Docs).

It's not a problem with your phone, Android, or Google. It's China. Get used to it.

In China you cannot download paid apps through the market, and even some free ones won't be visible to you - (carriers or app developers can restrict which areas of the world their app is visible). If you decide to root your phone, there is a way to get around that. However, if the Great Firewall happens to be blocking your access to the Market at that time, no app will help you.

I suggest avoiding other markets. Not sure how trustworthy they are.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones