1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Problem Flashing ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whiskeyguy, Feb 22, 2011.

1. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 1, 2010
    Alright, well I was very hesitant to start a new thread, and have been reading for two hours now trying to find an answer. First time rooting, first time trying to install a ROM.

I rooted my Incredible fine last week using unrevoked. I immediately did a nandroid backup, then downloaded Titanium and did a backup there. Love the ability to have a wifi hotspot and all that. However, tonight I decided to try and flash skyraider 3.5 ROM to my phone using the ROM manager. I downloaded the file via ROM Manager and tried to flash it, selecting both backup and wipe).

The phone would reboot, and then just sit on the splash screen (I think that's what it's called, the white screen that says HTC Incredible). I waited around 45 minutes the first time and then yanked the battery. I tried it a second time with the same results. Stock Sense loads fine after rebooting, but I was wondering what I am doing wrong?

On a side note, I love HTC Sense, and all I really want to accomplish with root is a)get rid of bloatware and b)increase battery life. Is there a better way of doing this without installing a ROM? For example, would simply installing a kernel be a better option than a ROM?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. kidhudi

kidhudi Member
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    could be a currupt file. try flashing a new download of the rom (check and verify the md5) straight from CWR. use CWR2. anything instead of 3. and search the forum for caulkins format tool and flash that before the rom. this will format the important parts of the phone for a clean install. and for batterylife you should really check out ziggy's bfs 2 jan 2011 kernel( i found this one works really good with that rom) or heyitslou 8.

3. tluv00

tluv00 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    On the edge
    I am looking at Flashing Virtuous using ROM Manager and I have used Titanium to backup but do I have to do nandroid as well? Also, once Flashed how do I recover. Thanks.

4. kidhudi

kidhudi Member
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    yes you should make a backup. sometimes i don't because i have 3 i use ( the nand i did the second after i rooted stock htc sense and a good setup with CW7 i can always revert to incase of emergency and redemptive revolution with ziggys kernel.) if i were you i would download the rom and check the md5. download caulkins format tool. use rom manager to flash clockwork recovery 2.5.0.5 or anything in the 2's don't try this with CWR3 that is for ginger stuff. then reboot into recovery create a backup in the backup/restore tab then flash caulkins format tool then flash the virtuous rom. then reboot and all should go well.

5. tluv00

tluv00 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    On the edge
    I don't have a clue of what you just said. :D I just wanted to see if I needed to do a Nandroid as well as Titanium backup. Thanks for the information though. Seems like something I should do at home so I have time. Work is a little busy.

6. whiskeyguy

None

Apr 1, 2010
    Alright, I narrowed down the problem and think it's with unrevoked. I can get into the boot menu (power + volume down) but anytime I try to click on recovery the phone goes to the splash screen and freezes on it. Yanking the battery and restarting loads the phone fine.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on?

Edit: This was the same thing that would happen when I tried to flash a rom.

7. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    Lawyer
    SE Pennsylvania, USA
    When you get into hboot (that's the screen when you pull battery, press volume up & power) what version do you have?

You need 0.92 for most ROM's updated since December, such as Virtuous 3.2 (which is the easiest "starter" ROM for the Incredible).

8. whiskeyguy

None

Apr 1, 2010
    I do have 0.92. I tried re-flashing unrevoked from the computer and kept getting failed root messages (although I'm still rooted).

I think I'm giving up. I really just wanted wireless tether, ability to remove bloatware, and better battery life... which I can accomplish at least partially right now.

9. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    sounds to me like you do not have a custom recovery. let the phone boot normally. make sure your your super user app is still there. open rom manager and reflash clockwork recovery(at this point i think 3.x is going to be your only option) or flash the alternate recovery down at the bottme(RA_GNM). then "reboot into recovery" from rom manager.

assuming that works and gets you to a recovery,make a nandroid backup. the best advice to you and tluv00 is to NOT USE ROM MANAGER for anything other than flashing clockwork or RA_GNM.

i have read numerous things about rom manager goofing up this,that,or the other,not to mention the people that seem to have the most prollem with bad downloads or corrupt files are the ones downloading right to the phone(using rom manager or a browser). for some it works fine,but the safest,most reliable option IMO is to download on the computer,transfer via usb,and flash in recovery.

ill say it one more time: DONT use rom manager to download and flash roms.

some random thots on recoveries:
    clockwork 3.x(3.0.0.5 to 3.0.0.8) seems to have made things a lil more complicated for new users. you do not have to use it (yet) with cm7. you can still flash cm7 with 2.5.x.x or with RA_GNM. my advice would be to go to the bottom of rom manager and attempt to flash an older version of clockwork(2.5.x.x-any one that doesnt start with 3). if it will let you,use that until you come across a rom that it doesnt work on. it will give you a lot less headache. 3.x is generally fine for ASOP roms,but for sense based roms youll need to use 2.5.x or RA_GNM.

RA_GNM installs most roms just fine,but lately ive come across roms that wont install using clockwork 3.x or RA_GNM.i havent figured out exactly why yet- but the ones that RA wont install instal fine with clockwork 2.5.x. since it was no longer an option on my phone to install a 2.5.x clockwork under "older versions" in rom manager,i had to install it thru HBOOT,wich we can help you with if needed.