1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem getting 3G connection on at&t with "refreshing sim data" error

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Medeksza, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Medeksza

Medeksza Lurker
    None

I'm having problems getting a reliable 3G connection on my Samsung Galaxy S2. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and other discounts I'd like to keep which is why I bought this phone unlocked instead of getting a subsidized phone.

The 3G connection wouldn't work after just putting in the sim card, I had to google some APN settings to see what would work. My data plan is called Media Net Unlimited or "GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - MN21" on my bill. I found the following setting which I tried:

[I'll try to post in next message due to spam filter]

The settings only partially work. The 3G connection may work anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or two. But then the 3G icon disappears, a no icon (circle with a line through it) appears for a second along with a message on the bottom of the screen that says "refreshing sim data". After a couple seconds the message disappears and the 3G returns. But if I try to do anything again it drops the connection again within a minute.

When I'm on wifi or I disable the data connection, I don't get the "refreshing sim data" message at all and the phone works normally for voice. Also, I am completely unable to send or receive MMS messages ever.

My signal strength is good and if I put my sim back into my old phone (Nokia N75, also unlocked and purchased independently of at&t) the data connection works just fine. I can send/receive MMS messages, use the built-in browser or opera browser, and access email.

Any idea what maybe causing the "refreshing sim data" message and disappearing 3G? Are there better APN settings I can try? Is AT&T blocking my phone based on IMEI or something?

Advertisement

2. Medeksza

Medeksza Lurker
    None

My APN settings currently are as follows:

Name: Media Net
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    Port: 80
    Username: leave blank
    Password: leave blank
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMS proxy: 66.209.011.32
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: none
    APN type: internet + mms

3. Averroes

Averroes Lurker
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Hi,

I am having the same issues with my 3G/4G connection but with T-Mobile. I do have the international version phone but service wit TMO. I called T-Mo and they are looking into it, but its been now four days and still nothing. I only have 2G/Edge connection which is quite slow. Please Help!

Are there any special settings?

Thanks,
    Averroes

4. DaytonaZ33

DaytonaZ33 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2010
    99% sure the international version does not support T-Mobile USA 4G

5. Medeksza

Medeksza Lurker
    None

I figured out a work around for my issues. If I force the phone to use a 2G EDGE connection instead of 3G H+ it maintains a reliable (albeit slower) data connection. If its set to 3G or set to automatically decide which network mode to use then I get the frequent random disconnects. I'm still wondering whether this is a provider/plan issue or a hardware issue though.

6. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    The same thing happened to me several months ago -- I went down to my local AT&T store & got a new SIM. Hasn't happened since.

7. Medeksza

Medeksza Lurker
    None

An update to my issue: After upgrading to ICS the problem went away