1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problem in syncing my Pixel 2XL with Gmail for past 36 hours

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bwelford, Feb 12, 2019.

1. bwelford

bwelford Lurker

Suddenly my Pixel 2XL is not syncing with Gmail although there are no problems in working with Gmail on my Desktop PC.

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Do you mean you don't get notifications or that you don't see new emails even if you manually open the app and refresh?

And have you done anything recently that might affect this, i.e. changed anything with the GMail app or Google Play Services? For example, clearing data for Play Services will break GMail notifications for a few days.

3. bwelford

bwelford Lurker

I had changed nothing. As usual that morning I clicked on the Gmail icon on my phone. My screen showed the message, 'Getting your messages', and this never changes.

If I use the back arrow at the top left of the screen, it shows me the message:
    Waiting for sync...
    and that never changes either.

4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data? Does the sync issue continue when you switch from one to the other?

You can check the sync status at Settings > Accounts > [you]@gmail.com > Account sync. Is the Gmail entry enabled, and does it indicate when it last synced?

5. bwelford

bwelford Lurker

The problem occurs for both.

When I check the last sync date it is
    2019-02-10. 11:00pm

At the same time, at the bottom of the screen there is a message
    Sync is currently having problems

6. codesplice

Do the other items show the same Last synced time? From that same screen, tap Menu > Sync now to see if that makes any difference.

7. bwelford

bwelford Lurker

When I apply Sync Now, 11 of the 13 items sync to the present time. Only Gmail and Google News stick with sync times over 24 hours ago.

8. bwelford

bwelford Lurker

Gmail has now synced to the present time. Google News has still not synced to the present time and is more than 24 hours old.

9. codesplice

Is the Gmail app continuing to sync correctly now? Sometimes the sync process gets hung up so manually initiating the sync as you've done can help to knock it loose.

Do you use the Google News app?

Google Pixel 2 Forum

The Google Pixel 2 release date was October 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 2700mAh battery.

October 2017
Release Date
Reviews