1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root problem installing ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by algershick, Jun 13, 2010.

1. algershick

algershick Member

May 16, 2010
    I'm moderately computer savy, I came from a HTC Diamond WM 6.x phone and flashed ROMs on a regular basis. However, attempting this with my new Evo has me stumped!

I am successfully rooted using Toasts method. I have Clockwork recovery installed and I'm in it. I do a wipe through recovery, try to install my ROM (Fresh's ROM) through the root of my SD, and I get nothing! When I reboot, it's just the standard root rom factory reset.

Am I missing something?

Advertisement

2. robg2008

robg2008 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    US ARMY
    Millersville, MD
    can you say exactly what steps you are doing when you get to recovery mode?
    i feel the problem would have to be with something done on the recovery mode

3. algershick

algershick Member

May 16, 2010
    When I get to recovery, I select to wipe and factory reset the device/ cache etc. Then I navigate through the menus to install a zip from my SD. I downloaded Fresh's .2 and have it on the root of the SD card. I select it. The background changes as it should like whats documented online, it says its opening the package, then it goes back to the recovery menu without completing. I select to reboot just to see if it flashed, no dice. I've tried this 4 different times with no result.

I even tried using my root-PC3whatever.zip and I get the same result.

Any suggestions? Can I undo my root and start over, perhaps that would solve my issue?

4. Emrys

Emrys Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I'm having this same problem! Could it be because I got the Sprint OTA update? But in the tutorials it said that it would still work on that.

5. algershick

algershick Member

May 16, 2010
    I un-rooted and am starting over right now following a tutorial on XDA, I'll report back whether it worked or not.

6. Emrys

Emrys Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
  7. algershick

algershick Member

May 16, 2010
    Still the same result after a reflash of the stock ROM to un-root, and starting over from scratch. I don't get it. I'm going to try to flash a different ROM and see if I get anywhere...

8. algershick

algershick Member

May 16, 2010
    [UPDATE]

I flashed a differed ROM (Bugless Beast] posted over at XDA and it looked like it flashed correctly, but now I'm stuck in a boot loop...

[UPDATE II]
    I restored again and the Bugless Beast ROM is working! What is up with the Fresh ROM? I absolutely cannot get this one flashed.

9. algershick

algershick Member

May 16, 2010
    Another wipe, another attempt to flash Fresh, and it worked. I don't know what the deal was, I really don't think I did anything different on any of these attempts. Running the ROM now, everything is working as it should!

Tags: