1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem moving apps to SD with 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mancow187, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mancow187

Mancow187 Newbie
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    I just got the 2.2 update this morning and all seems to be well except whenever I try to move an app to the SD card via the application manager menu - Move to SD button it just changes the button to "Moving" and hangs. I have waited about 10 minutes for it to move Angry Birds Rio to the SD card and it doesnt move. When I push back and get back to the root menu then tap the application manger button again, all of the labels say "computing" for the file size and memory usages. The "computing" will never go away now until I restart the phone. Once I do that it will compute the correct sizes of the files but after I tap move to sd again its back to computing and nothing gets moved to the SD card.

I originally tried with my 16 gig class 8 card but recently switch back to the stock 2 gig card but have gotten the same results. Anyone else having this issue or is it just my phone?

Advertisement

2. themartyred

themartyred Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011

must just be you. angry birds transfered to SD after about a minute or so on mine. smaller programs transferred in about 15 seconds. maybe it's the card? try another if you have a freebie one you've gotten when you got it new, or try reinserting it.

I'm just hoping that video chat will work on this... Wish I knew if it was fring or tango that is working on a glitch they found and are working on...

3. Mynameztwitch

Mynameztwitch Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    I am having the exact same problem. Tried many different things all with no success. This is quite annoying since that is the thing I was looking forward to the most.

I tried using different SD cards, reformatting the SD card, resetting my phone, using an app that moves apps to SD cards, ect. Nothing has worked.

I really hope someone can figure out how to fix this little bug.

4. melindar2000

melindar2000 Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    I seem to be having the same issue.

After trying most of the same steps as you - I went to the Sprint store and they confirmed I was having the problem.

I called samsung and after running the same troubleshooting steps as Sprint - they confirmed I am having the problem.

Their answer - It must be a problem with the update (really) and wait for fix for the update.

I hope this gets fixed soon.

5. Mancow187

Mancow187 Newbie
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Just tried it on my wifes phone which has the same brand and type of memory card and it works just fine. The only thing that I can think of is that I rooted and installed the Froyo RC2 from vamp before the official update was sent out and flashed back to stock using the thread http://androidforums.com/samsung-transform/279247-how-flash-your-transform-stock.html. I did not root or do anything unstock on my wifes phone.

Did everyone else having this issue do the same. The App to SD functionality worked fine with vamp froyo build coincidently.

6. [TheAndroid]

[TheAndroid] Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    Uh-Meh-Ric-Ah
    I have the same issue. No worries guys' wait for the new 2.2 ROMs to be released. I have errors installing current programs atm as well, even with Titanium Backup. Trust me. 2.2 is not perfect (In my opinion it's far from perfect...)

7. Mancow187

Mancow187 Newbie
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Has anyone tried taking it to a Sprint store for repairs? There must be something that can be done to fix this issue.

8. [TheAndroid]

None

Oct 30, 2010
    Uh-Meh-Ric-Ah
    Sprint's employee's in all truth are incompetent, except for my friend Blank who has an Evo, Spic, Shift, and even and iPhone 4 (Which he hates ;) )

9. Petemoze

Petemoze Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    i went into a sprint repair store with this exact problem...they spent two and a half hours reseting my phone and tearing it apart to make sure it didnt have water damage and after two and a half hours they told me they couldnt fix it and offered a replacement which they wanted to charge me thirty five dollars for...i asked why i had to pay to replace something that their update broke and they said "it wasnt our update that broke it. samsung sent out the update" and then suggested i talk to them...so i called them up but they want me to mail them my phone (out of my own pocket) and then they said they would take from ten to fifteen days after receiving the phone (roughly four weeks) to asses whether they could replace it or not...currently i am not willing to go without a phone for a month and i am considering forking over thirty five dollars.......unless someone has a fix for this....

10. [TheAndroid]

None

Oct 30, 2010
    Uh-Meh-Ric-Ah
    Wait for the ROMs to be released....

11. Mancow187

Mancow187 Newbie
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    I got the same $35 to replace the phone from the sprint repair store as they have been unable to figure the issue. Not sure why I should pay $35 to replace something I had zero part in breaking. I may just call sprint and see if that gets me any further than the store did.

12. Cooper271

Cooper271 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Hey guys. Screw their $35 repair fee. They give us phones with limits and bugs. But that's the beauty of Android OS.. It's open-sourced! Wait a little while, there will be ROMs released soon that deal with these and other issues.
    In the meantime, root and be happy. Unless you have 0 common sense and can't follow step-by-step instructions (both written out and visual) you won't ever brick your phone. And even if you do mess up, you can always reflash (minus two things, involving flashing a boot logo too big, and not following the directions for one step while rooting).

13. Mancow187

Mancow187 Newbie
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    For anyone who is having this App2SD issue, when you plug your USB cable from the computer to the phone does the phone ask you to "Turn on USB" with the green android guy popping up? No matter what I try I cannot get this to happen and cannot get the files on the sd card from my computer. I dont get the USB icon in the notification bar and all that happens is a double beep when I connect the cable. I plugged my wifes into the same computer with the same cable and hers works fine. Something has to be wrong with the SD card or card slot because I have even run chkdsk on the card and it always comes back with zero errors.

Any ideas?

14. Cooper271

None

Feb 21, 2011
    Try rebooting your phone. If that doesn't work, you may want to consider a factory reset. I sound like Sprint :/

15. Mancow187

Mancow187 Newbie
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Tried rebooting and resetting back to factory settings to no avail.
    Could this issue have something to do with me setting up EXT as the file format when I installed the RC2 Froyo build before the official update? I

16. Cooper271

None

Feb 21, 2011
    If you were rooted, you could go to console and type rfs to change it.