• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem rooting

D

Deleted User

running ota froyo

i couldn't get my computer to read the sd card through the phone on step 20 of the guide, so i took the battery out again put the sd card into a card reader and placed the update.zip in. Then i put the sd card back in the phone and tried to install it, but i got this error:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0(
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted

i now am realizing that if i mount the sdcard through the mount options that it auto reverts back to unmounted, same thing with enabling usb mass storage. i know it is not my computer now because as soon as i enable USB mass storage, go back to main menu then go back into mount options it has changed back to "Enable USB Mass Storage"

I have taken out the battery and sd card many times by now and i know that it is not seated wrong.
please please please help if you have any ideas

Edit: how do i know if rsd lite is on my phone? also should rsd lite be open on my computer if my phone is plugged in? does it even matter?

I had a similar issue. When I downloaded a ROM, I renamed it after transferring it over to the SD card. Then I unmounted it (all while in SPRecovery) and it wouldn't remember the name change. It's best to mount, change the name, then safely remove device from Windows or Linux, then unmount. I hope that helps someone.

Upvote 0
I have heard Clockwork can be a little unstable. is that true or is it just as stable as SPRecovery?

It's had a few glitches here and there, but @koush keeps it constantly updated. It's also painless to reinstall. Just grab Rom Manager off the market. If you don't like it, he includes SP Recovery in there as well. Doesn't even require a reboot to flash recoveries.

Reactions: glitch32
Upvote 0
It's had a few glitches here and there, but @koush keeps it constantly updated. It's also painless to reinstall. Just grab Rom Manager off the market. If you don't like it, he includes SP Recovery in there as well. Doesn't even require a reboot to flash recoveries.

That's a good point. I guess I always think of it as a BIOS update, so it seems to worry me just a little.

Upvote 0
That's a good point. I guess I always think of it as a BIOS update, so it seems to worry me just a little.

I was worried the first time it acted up as well. I did some searching, found the fix for my glitch, and all was well. If your recovery glitches, your flash just won't take. It's not like it will do a partial flash and leave you stranded. It just says installation aborted, and requires reboot. No danger, just a minor annoyance.

Reactions: glitch32
Upvote 0
I was worried the first time it acted up as well. I did some searching, found the fix for my glitch, and all was well. If your recovery glitches, your flash just won't take. It's not like it will do a partial flash and leave you stranded. It just says installation aborted, and requires reboot. No danger, just a minor annoyance.

Ok, that does make me feel better. Thanks Barkleyfan!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones