1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Problem tethering with quick settings

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by odelay63, Sep 22, 2011.

1. odelay63

odelay63 Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    I just bought the lg optimus v and got a plan through vm. I downloaded quick settings, went to customization and moved wifi hotspot onto the quick settings main page so that i could enable the hotspot, like the walkthroughs told me to do. heres where i ran into a problem. When i click to enable hotspot, it starts 'enabling' but then a message pops up that states 'network not available'. however i have almost full service and am also in a 3g area. what could be causing this? did vm add an upgrade that disconnects me from the network whenever i enter quick settings? please help!

Advertisement

2. faaaack

faaaack Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    Had the same problem as you... this link helped
    forgottheaddress.blogspot.com/2011/12/android-222-lg-optimus-v-wifi-tether.html

3. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    I have the Sprint version of the Optimus (the Optimus S) and I'm sure the same thing happened on the Optimus V...

On the Optimus S, up until Android 2.1.1 build ZVC, it was possible to use QuickSettings to exploit a technical loophole and get free WiFi tethering. But Sprint wants you to pay for tethering so they released an "update" (build ZVD) that closed the technical loophole and prevented free WiFi tethering. All subsequent OS updates have prevented free WiFi tethering. If you want to tether for free, you have to root your phone and install a custom ROM, most (if not all) of which have built-in free WiFi tethering. Otherwise you'll have to pay for tethering, in which case you'll be able to invoke it from the phone's built-in settings for "Wireless & Networks".
    Optimus V Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com