• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem updating firmware

JKase

Jan 19, 2010
Hello, fellow Androids!

I just stumbled upon the most annoying problem updating the firmware on my HTC Hero (a not operator-locked one). I'm running Windows 7 and did the Windows Vista-drivers workaround to get HTC Sync to work. Then I downloaded RUU from HTC's home site and tried to update the firmware.

What I end up with is the phone booting to bootloader and RUU then saying that the phone is disconnected, that I should check the usb-cable and so on.

The phone works perfectly with HTC Sync, but when RUU starts it to bootloader, it for some reason drops connection.

Is there any alternate method around to update the firmware or any kind of workaround to get the firmware updated?

Thanks in advance!

-JK

Been trying to update my Orange ROM all morning but if it's not the Sync software giving me problems then it's the ROM update, I am using Windows 7.

Firstly downloaded the latest version HTC Sync 2.0.18 and as usual it didn't work, followed this post - http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/34248-htc-hero-sync-issues-windows-7-64-bit.html#post267173 to get the Sync software working with sucess.

Now to do the ROM update, everything goes fine till step 6 on the 'read me' instructions where it tries to install the files to the phone. Firstly windows starts installing the HTC bootloader driver because the update is looking for it, once it has installed the drivers a pop up comes up saying I need to restart the computer for the updates to take effect, the ROM update times out as it can't find the bootloader drivers because a reboot is required.

So reboot the PC thinking it'll work this time as it has the HTC Bootloader driver installed and now the HTC Sync no longer recognises the phone even though the driver is still the same one as after doing the fix to get it working in the first place.

Could reinstall the sync to get it working but it would probably just fail on the bootloader process again taking me back to square one.

All I want to do is update the bloody ROM.

Upvote 0
Found a possible solution. Not 100% sure if any of this actually affected, or if stars just happened to favor me, but at least I got mine updated now.

Open RUU and don't plug in the phone to the computer before it REALLY prompts you to. Also don't set either USB or Sync-mode from the phone. Not sure if it was any of that that helped, but it's the only things I can think of now that might've mattered.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones