1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem using Samsung Galaxy Tab Hotspot with Powerbook Pro

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Crazie Eddie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Crazie Eddie

Crazie Eddie Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Hi

I got a Galaxy tablet on Verizon to use as a hotspot for my Powerbook when we go RVing.

I've had nothing but trouble maintaining a connection, and every trip I've spent time with Verizon support, the problem would "disappear", only to resurface the next time out. The last time, their not-so helpful tech support guy said "it's got to be something wrong with your computer, go to Apple for help".

Symptoms: I get a good connection, on the Galaxy, set up the hotspot and go to work on the Powerbook - generally download email first (I use the Mac's Mail app, my provider is Coppernet), then start surfing (I tend to use Firefox), checking Twitter, eBay, Yahoo mail etc. After about 20 minutes, I loose the connection - the Airport "pizza" icon still shows a strong connection to the Galaxy Tab and there are still one or two bars on the Tab, but browser pages won't load and if I open an email with pictures, they're all blue question marks.

When I lose the connection on the Mac, sometimes I can access the Internet through the Galaxy's browser, sometimes I can't.

If I go to the tablet and switch to Airplane mode for a minute or so (one Verizon tech's "solution") I can resume working on the Powerbook again for any where between 1 and 30 minutes - sometimes more. Turning the hotspot on and off has the same effect, as does shutting the pad off and turning it back on.

When I'm at home, the thing seems to work just fine!

Also, I got a Wilson booster/antenna thinking a stronger signal would help, with no luck.

The Powerbook version is 10.6.8, and I regularly load the latest software. The Galaxy Tab is up to date too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement