1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problem With Android Studio 4.1.1

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by mdawdy, Jan 21, 2021.

1. mdawdy

mdawdy Member

Android Studio 4.1.1: Trying to solve a problem I went to the Gradle menu right side, followed project-name | build | build. I do not now recall what was next but when I came out of it the Run menu had changed. The Select-Device option is grayed out, the Run-App choice is missing, other Run choices are presented. I need to get Run | Select-Device and Run | App back. Any ideas appreciated :)

Note: I decided the best approach was to uninstall Android Studio and re-install. Only takes 5 minutes. Always solves this type of problem. Well, I guess it has a secret place to keep settings, a place that persists un-install because the error simply came back :(

If you know of this place please let me know. Thank you, Mick

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mdawdy

mdawdy Member

I used CCleaner and others to uninstall Android Studio and cleanup the registry and all, hoping to reinstall AS and carry on. But it is still stuck. So I expect the stuck options are within the project files. Next question, here is a pic of the project, which folders and files can I delete without losing stuff that I need? Hopefully I can delete the right one :) upload_2021-1-21_20-34-16.gif

NOTE: I am unable to compile and test my project until I get this sorted out upload_2021-1-21_20-34-16.gif :(
    TIA!
    TIA! upload_2021-1-21_20-34-16.gif upload_2021-1-21_20-34-16.gif upload_2021-1-21_20-34-16.gif AndrStud.png

3. mdawdy

mdawdy Member

I have done a full days work on this since my above post - I found a post on Stackoverflow that listed ALL of the things that need to be deleted to completely remove Android Studio. There are tens of thousands of files to be deleted from several places. .gradle is one example. I went for coffee. In addition I cleaned the registry with CCleaner, and ran a couple of other similar programs.

Then I reinstalled Android studio and no joy. It still found my project directory, automatically loaded my project, and had the same anomaly. So I need to know what files in the project directory I can delete without losing the needed ones. Otherwise next step is to save the obvious ones [java, xml, etc], delete all else, re-install Android Studio again, restart it as a new project, and hope
    [​IMG]

I'll attach two pics, one of the project directory showing all of the files/directories from which I must make keep/delete decisions. Any comments on what to delete or NOT are appreciated. Then a screen shot of the anomalous behaviour. I used red arrows to indicate two of the places of concern. Note especially that Select Device is grayed out.

you are familiar with the utility of these
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] project directories/files list then you could offer an opinion on what can be deleted. Thank you
    [​IMG]

Quote Reply
    Report Edit

[​IMG]

Write your reply...
    Attach files
    =4221799&hash=1c211cf2905fd09f993083f41b145bfa']

Share:
    FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppEmail

OUR APPS

Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone

Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android

One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone

[​IMG]
    XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality.

Crafted by Audentio
    MORE INFO
    Contact usAdvertise
    Suggest Content
    USEFUL LINKS
    Software Update DownloadRoot Any DeviceHow to GuidesXDA’s BestRecognized Developer Program
    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
    Receive the freshest Android & development news right in your inbox!

AndrStud.png AndrStud-1.png AndrStud.png AndrStud-1.png

4. mdawdy

mdawdy Member

Problem solved, almost as mysteriously as it started. I made some planned changes to the app and went thru the process of setting up an AVD and editing the run configuration. Then the Select Device became un-grayed, the Run menu reverted to normal, and everything worked.

How did you all help? Well, you gave me a structured place to think and prepare how to fix this, and it worked. I had to think hard so that I could present the problem properly. That has been enough. Thank you for being here :)

5. Mahesh Khatri

Mahesh Khatri Lurker

i am facing same problem