• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Problem with APK files

BladeZ

Lurker
May 10, 2019
Hello fellow coders!

I am new in app developing and trying to build pretty much my first Android app in a school project.
However I faced some problems and I would like to ask help from people who might know better.

My app uses TCPClient to make a connection to a host server. While I was testing the app in debug with different devices there was no problems with connecting. However after I made a release version and tried it on my device for some reason my app didn't want to connect and it just plain goes down.

After a while I found out how I can check logs to see what the problem is. Apparently it was some kind of socket exception that crashes the app. In debug the app worked though. So I searched some more info and apparently permission to use Internet is automatically on in debug and not in release. So I added that permission and tried to make a new apk file. That still didn't work and I got the same error (even though I am pretty sure that is the reason it didn't work).

Now after reading a bit more about apk files I guess making a new one isn't as easy as I thought. When I made the first one I followed Xamarin's instructions from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/android/deploy-test/release-prep/?tabs=windows and everything went well.
But after making the second (and couple more after that) I realized that it didn't ask the apps keystore password (I guess you should put that every time you make a new apk file). I used the ad hoc route, because I am not intending to put the app in store (the app is for the project client). I just put the apk file to my device and installed it that way.

So I would like to know what exactly should I know if I make a new apk file from a project I have modified somehow? Do I need to make a new version number or something like that to make it work???

Hi there. In order to answer your question we'll need to see -

- the stack trace from the log
- the relevant code

use [code][/code] tags to format your code.

I can't do that at the moment because I can't get to my working computer. At the moment I am pretty sure it is just that I have messed up with the apk file somehow, so that is the reason why I asked advice when you are updating your old apk file to a new one. Because I even made a version which didn't have that socket part and I still somehow got an exception.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones