1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem with battery display icon

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by racowan, Jan 28, 2014.

1. racowan

racowan Lurker
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    UKSSR
    Hopefully someone can help me here.....

My Nexus 7 (2012) keeps shutting down at around 33% battery level. There is no warning, it just quickly displays that it is out of juice and shuts down.

I thought my battery was on the way out obviously.

However, when I charge the unit, it fills up to 100%. I can unplug it, use it for a few hours and it will still be on 100%. After a few hours it will then start to deplete the battery icon as usual down to 33% then immediate shutdown.

So it seems to me that the scale the device is using to measure the battery level is out of sync with the hardware itself. This is why it is staying on 100% for a long time after unplugging from the charger. When the icon displays 33% it is really empty.

Has anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it.

Many thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The battery charge calibration could be off. That would be a warranty issue. (But the way to prove it would be to run a discharge curve on the battery from about 40% down, which would take an active load and a recording voltmeter.)

Install a battery monitor that keeps a graph of the battery voltage. When it shuts down at 33%, charge it and run it again. Look at the graph. If the battery went from 33% to 0 (or almost 0) in almost no time, you have a defective batery. (It has what's called a dendritic short, and that happened during the manufacture of the battery.)

I'm assuming that you don't have a battery saving app that's set to shut down with no warning at the 33% level. Sometimes people forget what app they added a few weeks ago.

3. racowan

racowan Lurker
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    UKSSR
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I will get back onto google