• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem with boot animation

greg4501

Aug 8, 2010
ugh..been trying to get this all day. :thinking:
i'm just trying to change my boot animation to go along with a theme i have for bugless beast 0.4...i was told to put the bootanimation.zip in the data/local folder which i did..then i used terminal to load it up and it says no such directory or something.

so to be clear i was supposed to create the local folder myself right?
data is in the root, then i make the local folder inside the data? it seems i'm doing everything right but when i power on the phone i dont even have an animation..it just goes from the M symbol to the phone on.

please helppp

But the fact that you had to create the folder is worrisome. And sorry for re-hashing what you already knew, but I had no idea that you knew that, so I was making sure.

As for it not working, not sure what else it could be. Have you checked the other forums to make sure there aren't alternate instructions to make it work?

No worries about mentioning something i already knew..i didnt start doing this stuff tilll yesterday though lol. i just rooted yesterday, i'm on bugless beast with froyo 2.2..

i havent really checked the other forums..i did ask on droidforums.net but noone answered yet. i'm stumped too about not having the local folder..no idea why that could be.

Upvote 0
I am rooted and I am getting a "permission denied" message?

any thoughts?

this seemed to have worked

su
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# busybox cp -R /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local
# mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# sync
# reboot

interesting that Astro will not show you /local/ inside /data/ but you can see /data/ and in fact Root Explorer will show you it all and it was Root Explorer that showed the files made it into /local/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones