1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem With Contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by desqjockey, Jan 2, 2012.

1. desqjockey

desqjockey Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    So I came over from iPhone and Ive had problems getting my contacts together.
    What I want: to have a working phone list based on my google contacts with phone numbers. I want to be able to get to my list of phone numbers with one touch and call them with one/two more.

What I have:
    1. I have the native phonebook app 'People.' In this the far left icon heading lists my google accounts. I can pick 'mymainaccount@google.com', then 'phone' (a folder I created), but it shows me this image based list of 6 contacts at a time which has no scrollbar on the right so if I want to go to my friend Wendy it means 'flick flick flick' for a while. At least these are the people I want to be in my phonebook.

I would be happy with this if I could just list them, no photos, but I cant figure out how to change this setting. Id rather have a way to get there directly from my home screen too. I dont need to always decide between the 'people I want in my phone book' folder and 'people I have deliberately shunted into another folder because I dont ever call them.'

2. The Middle 'People' heading is my Skype phonebook ('Contacts in Myskype.name') which lists me, then every single phone number I have ever called from skype (no names, type is 'custom.'), then a kind of odd assortment of contacts with a mix of email and phone numbers. The skype application on my computer has a list of like 15 contacts, pretty much just their skype names, so I cant take care of it from there. I cant figure out how to get rid of the number only ones except manually deleting them on the phone.
    I wouldnt mind this if it was just a way to have a list of people with skype addresses.

edit: Oh and for some reason this Skype list is what my phone wants to search from the maginfying glass if I have the dialer up. Why this pick this one Nexus?

Any ideas? This is getting frustrating!!!

Advertisement

2. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Bottom right corner, 3 dots. Brings up menu. Choose "contacts to display". This will bring up choices like All contacts, xxxxx@gmail.com, twitter, google+ and customize. You can choose to only display contacts from any of these accounts, or choose customize.

If you choose customize, this will allow you to pick and choose subsets of those lists. So if in your google account you had a subset called 'friends' you could choose to display only those friends....or friends, family, and coworkers.... or whatever you want.

The search should search whatever the default view is that you select as "custom view". So once you set up your custom view it should work properly.

Hope this gets you where you want to be.

3. desqjockey

desqjockey Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks, I had been trying to mess with skype not pick another one.
    Would still like to change how my google groups display

4. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    With regards to the scrollbar, the list of all your possible contacts (to the left in the people app) seems to be the only one that utilizes that 6 image tile display. All the other screens seem to have the normal list view - and there is a faint scroll bar that if you touch and move, will allow you to jump through the alphabet instead of flicking.

It sounds to me like you should "customize" your "contacts to display" to show only your "phone" list - sounds like its set to skype right now. Then this "phone" list will be the one that appears in the middle panel of the "people" app. Also, as far as getting their from the home screen....if you press the phone button, the right panel in the phone app will list: First - any starred contacts, Second - your frequently called contacts, and then third, an alphabetical list of the same custom list you set up in the people app, ie "phone" friends.

5. jraskell

jraskell Member
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    Engineer
    New Hampshire
    I don't use the People App at all. I just use the contact list in the Dialer, but I also have a 'Speed dial' folder of my most used contacts on my main home screen, which is just two taps to call any contact in that folder (three if I need to hit the home button to go to that screen).

Tags: