1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem with email attachments file format

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ThriveCO, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ThriveCO

ThriveCO Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Just got the Toshiba Thrive and noted a problem with MS Office file format attachments (.doc, .xls) showing up as winmail.dat files in the email, both in the pre-loaded Thrive e-mail app and the web browser when I check my Yahoo mail.

This only happens with the MS Office files - Adobe .pdf files show up with the file name and .pdf extension and open with the pre-loaded QuickOffice reader, so no problem there.

Talked to Toshiba Tech Support and they said to download 3rd party app. Downloaded ThinkFree Office Lite - it works great on the files on the SD memory, but same problem with the e-mails.

Hope somebody can help me this, because if I can't read the attachments, this is going to be a deal breaker for me and I'll have to return the tablet. :(

Thanks

Advertisement

2. ThriveCO

ThriveCO Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Never mind - I think I found out what the problem might be.

I sent the same e-mail/attachments to my Gmail account and they came through fine. The attachments show up as .doc, .xls or .jpg with the original file name and download and open just fine using the preloaded app on the smartphone and the tablet.

Guess this is just a Google/Android issue - maybe a a way for them to push people to use Gmail rather than Yahoo mail!!

If anyone else has a different opinion or idea, please chime in.

Thanks

3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Makes sense.