1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem with Juice Defender....won't connect to Data after wifi???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by veccster, Jan 12, 2012.

1. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA
    Frustrated with JD because I just can't get it to work properly. I have the Pro version and have set it up correctly - even following a guide I found on this forum:
    http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/477968-good-juice-defender-tutorial.html

The Problem: I sit on my wifi network all day at the office. When I leave though, it doesn't always switch over to data (but sometimes it does). When it doesn't, I have no data connection at all. Even if I toggle mobile data or airplane mode....nothing. Even if I shut down Juice Defender, I am still unable to get my data connection back up. The only repair is to power cycle the phone. It will boot right into data and run perfectly. This is in a 4g network but I have also tried forcing cdma and it didn't help.

Could this be an issue with the phone? Without JD running, I do not experience this problem. What bothers me though, is that data won't come on even after I disable JD.

Advertisement

2. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    I don't know if I'm sold on JD yet. I'm using the free version, and I just used the default normal setting. Last night at 12:00 I was at 100% and unplugged. This morning when I woke up at 6:35 I was at 87%. "Android OS" was what was using the battery. That's worse than without JD installed.

3. Dabitz

Dabitz Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    Accounting Supervisor
    NJ
    I had a similar problem with my data connections. It all worked fine again after I uninstalled JD.

4. chamjin

chamjin Member
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same here. had wifi icon all greyed out, worked fine after uninstalling it.

5. homemadehitshow

None

Dec 3, 2009
    No problems here. JD has made a big difference during my tests but only in periods when you are NOT using the phone.

6. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    I know this is just one person's experience, just FWIW. I deleted JD last night. Charged to 100% at 11:00 and unplugged it. I only lost 6% overnight compared to 13% with JD the night before. I'm just going to leave it off. I never had it on my Incredible.

7. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA
    Thanks. I am testing w/o JD right now. Once I get extra batteries, I won't have to worry so much about it.

8. homemadehitshow

None

Dec 3, 2009
    Was that on Wi-Fi or regular data ? On Wi-Fi it makes sense, but JD's real savings are when you are using a data connection.

9. VTjlee

VTjlee Newbie
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Energy/Sustainability Engineer
    Northern Va
    My biggest problem with JD is that it seems to take a lot longer to reconnect to mobile data on my GNex than my DInc. When I would wake my DInc up, JD would instantly connect to mobile data. Now, it seems to take a lot longer to connect.

t seems like the process now is:
    Wake phone up.
    Bars are greyed out.
    Then the bars are greyed out with the '4G' indicator next to it.
    Then the bars stay greyed out for a while.
    Then it will finally connect.

Never had this problem before. I generally don't use it anymore, only when I know I'm going to be in an area with poor reception.

10. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    Eastern TN
    I've had weird connectivity issues as well with JD+. I've tried it a few times and it just wasn't as reliable as I wanted it to be.

11. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    Because of this concern on data re-connection with JD, I'm testing out 2X battery on Nexus. I installed it yesterday night, so it's too early to tell but I don't see much gain in battery life yet. Data connection on screen seems to come back fine and quick though.
    Unlike JD, it doesn't control WiFi radio in current version and it just pauses if phone is connected to WiFi. So I set WiFi to sleep during screen off. I'm testing 2X battery with 4G/WiFi, and will report later. But so far it doesn't look very good.

12. bryanjbenn

bryanjbenn Newbie
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    I'm observing exactly the same behavior and I'm about ready to dump JD. Only way to restore data is a reboot of the phone.

13. chrisv79

chrisv79 Member
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I also tried Juice Defender and I gave up on it. Sometimes data would not reconnect at all after waking the phone unless I cycled airplane mode. Many time it would take 30 seconds or more to restore data. Perhaps JD has not been optimized for ICS yet? It did seem to work better on the Bionic. For now the slight gain in battery experienced is not worth the frustration.

14. streetfish

streetfish Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    The Dirty
    I agree that JD does not always connect to data fast enough. everyone should be aware though that by default, it wont try and start connecting until after you unlock the phone (so if you are on lock screen just checking time or something it wont try and connect). There is an option to turn this feature off so that it connects right away. I think i will give that a try.

15. st0ic

st0ic Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2012
    I know this thread is old but they fixed this in the JD beta v3.9.6. This beta is NOT on the Google Play store, you have to uninstall your existing juice defender and reinstall it from their website.

I am going to give this a try...

Chris

16. st0ic

st0ic Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2012
  17. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    IT god
    B'more
    *Podium*

I've been on this site for probably 3 years and spend a LOT of time on it.

I know some people swear by JD and I'm glad it works for them.

That said I've seen NO END of weird, bizarre, erratic issues with phones... The common thread in most of the people I've tried to help? JD ...

If you properly set up your phone and applications it is unnecessary and can ONLY cause harm...

*Climbs down*

18. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    I don't think JD will necessarily cause a phone any harm, but I do agree that it is unnecessary if you research a bit on how to extend your battery life. ;)

Tags: