1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem with Market

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Augustus_4, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Augustus_4

Augustus_4 Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    So today I finally built up the confidence to root my optimus. In the first few hours I was extremely happy with my decision. However whenever I was just typing in something on the web and my phone restarted for no reason. And when it turned back on that I can't download any apps from the Market. Now I already tried the activate trick which sometimes works, but I don't want to reset to factory since *gasp* I haven't yet created a copy of my phone yet. So any advice would be welcome outside of you should have saved your phone earlier. And by the way I'm totally new to rooting. P.S. also my market still has the old gray theme still instead of the new green one, and I was wondering if this might have something to do with my problems?

Advertisement

2. tater_salad

tater_salad Member
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Western NY
    Did you only root it or did you also install a custom rom as well? If you only rooted it you can run un-root from one touch

3. Augustus_4

Augustus_4 Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    I just used gingerbreak which I believe is just rooting. What's really the difference?

4. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Yep. Gingerbreak roots and installs a couple of things and the version past 1.1 IIRC(i.e. early versions) have an unroot option as well...

Installing a custom fw, "ROM", means replacing the stock fw entirely with a modified or completely new version of a different Android version, e.g. CM7 based = gingerbread(2.3.x). Rooting just gets you complete access to your device with maximum permissions possible, i.e. "root" which is more or less equivalent to Windows(and other OS) admin account...

Personally I'd rather see something more like sudo eventually done but it'd take a bit of work... likely quite a bit... (sudo can be configured to allow a normal user to run particular apps with "root" level privileges but otherwise unless invoked apps run at the users "privilege"/access level... i.e. relatively safer...)

[EDIT]
    MOST custom fw come pre-rooted which means that on install you already have access to root...
    [/EDIT]

5. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Try going in to menu/settings/applications/manage applications/running/scroll down to market and select it/select clear data and cache. If that doesn't fix your problem,you might want to flash a custom recovery,and ROM. There's a great thread on this Entitled:Root Optimus V without computer,by bigbdroid. Last post, June 28th 2011. You will need to put a flash_image on your phone. Gingerbreak does not. Read the whole thread. Then go to post #31,where it says flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_recover.img(return),it should read /xionia_recovery.img(return)........also it can't hurt to download a terminal emulator from the market................READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS

Tags: