1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problem with 'messages' app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Frozentape, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Frozentape

Frozentape Lurker

Hey guys,

I have a htc Wildfire S, and I'm having a problem with the 'messages' app that comes with the phone. It's that all the SMS messages I get come under the actual phone number (+44...) rather than the name of the person they're from, despite the fact I have all the numbers saved to peoples names in the 'people's app. This just means it's a major annoyance when it comes to working out which messages are from whom! Anyway any suggestions would be fantastic, and thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Welcome to AF! :)

Have you tried one of the 3rd Party messaging apps like Handcent or GoSMS?

nataliep586 and Frozentape like this.
  3. Hexx

Hexx Member

Hi,

I don't have this problem myself so I can't give a definite answer, but I wonder - how do you store numbers in your people app? Is it in +44 format or just starting with 0?

All my numbers are in non +44 format and when I get an SMS it shows the correct person against it. Just a thought.

Ben.

4. Frozentape

Frozentape Lurker

Great, the goSMS app has solved the problem, thank-you!

5. axi980

axi980 Lurker

I had the same problem despite neatly organising all my contacts in the 'people' app. However I have managed to fix the problem by removing all of the numbers from my SIM card so that the only contact information that is on the phone was already transferred from the SIM or from Facebook etc. :)
    Just to note that I had already deselected the 'view sim contacts' in the wildfire S settings.

Hope this helps too

6. j33p3rz

j33p3rz Newbie

How do you turn off the message text that comes with the phone to just us GO SMS Pro?

7. El Presidente

VIP Member

Open the stock message app, hit menu, settings, notifications, received notification (uncheck).

8. j33p3rz

j33p3rz Newbie

Thanks you very much ;) Ill learn this stuff one of these days.

9. El Presidente

VIP Member

No probs :)

Is this your first smart phone? Some of the finer points can be difficult to get your head around at first. Keep asking questions, we'll see you right!

10. j33p3rz

j33p3rz Newbie

Yes it is I was an iphone user so Im sure Ill have plenty of more guestions ;) thanks again.

11. ritzi7

ritzi7 Lurker

hi! i suddenly notice that the contact name does not appear on messages app....its all contact number....please help ... how to restore the original setting.....thanks...

12. Harish Harris

Harish Harris Well-Known Member

Goto Messages> Settings> press the Menu button> Restore Default Settings

13. ellschops

ellschops Lurker

If anyone else has this problem again, i held down the power button until the three options came up, slected the restart phone option, and it fixed itself for me! :D

HTC Wildfire S Forum

The HTC Wildfire S release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews