• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root problem with my custom boot animation

freaksed

Lurker
Mar 25, 2010
so i am trying to put a custom boot animation on my moto droid 1. i have root i've done it before and im using froyo. my big problem now is that i tried putting a different one i downloaded on and it worked. so i need someone to tell me whats wrong with the one i made, because im out of ideas.
ive compared size, resolution, ppi, bit depth but for some reason my images are way bigger files. i think thats the problem but i cant figure out how to fix it.
the sequence was created by using virtualdub to clip a section of an animated short, then exporting an image sequence as png. but ive fed the images through gimp and an image resizer. the frames are only some of them because i went through deleting every other frame a few times to cut down on the total size.
the file is too big to attach here so i put it on my web space at http://www.freaksed.com/stuff/bootanimation.zip

btw im using the patch that lets me put the files in \data\local\ and be named bootanimation.zip. it works ive tried with other animations like i said.

not the one i just made. i made one a while back that worked, but by a different method.

since the update to froyo i got an animation i downloaded from a list of boot animations to work, just not mine.

it may be the desc.txt file. Easiest thing to do is take one from an existing/working bootanimation.zip.

also, to reduce the filesize some more, check out http://optipng.sourceforge.net/

Upvote 0
the desc.txt as it stands now is
480 854 25p 1 0 part0
though ive tried variations based on downloaded animations, i went with 25 because another one used that speed though i was using 30 before

also supersaki that optipng was an awesome little program, took a couple MB off the zip file size, thanks, it didnt change all the pics but most got a fair bit smaller

however the animation still doesnt work

Upvote 0
the desc.txt as it stands now is
480 854 25p 1 0 part0
though ive tried variations based on downloaded animations, i went with 25 because another one used that speed though i was using 30 before

also supersaki that optipng was an awesome little program, took a couple MB off the zip file size, thanks, it didnt change all the pics but most got a fair bit smaller

however the animation still doesnt work

the desc.txt you are using, is it from a working bootanimation? reason I ask is if you are using windows, notepad (and maybe wordpad) handle line breaks differently than unix, so a desc.txt file made in windows doesn't work. Look for notepad++ and save files in unix format.

Also, make sure when you zip it, you don't use compression, choose 'store'.

This is mostly from memory so it may not be exact, and may not even be the problem, but the desc.txt was the issue for me when I hacked together a bootanimation.

Upvote 0
arg so i load up np++ set it to unix formatting and try both

480 854 25p 1 0 part0
and
480 854 25
p 1 0 part0

still no go, any other ideas? cuz im on the verge of killing the rain forest by printing every frame of this out and burning the pile. im both hoping and dreading it's something small and stupid... like it always is.

again thanks for the extra brain power on this one

Upvote 0
arg so i load up np++ set it to unix formatting and try both

480 854 25p 1 0 part0
and
480 854 25
p 1 0 part0

still no go, any other ideas? cuz im on the verge of killing the rain forest by printing every frame of this out and burning the pile. im both hoping and dreading it's something small and stupid... like it always is.

again thanks for the extra brain power on this one

I'm gonna download your bootanimation and see if i can get it running on my phone.

Just to double-check though, you zipped it with no compression?

Upvote 0
tried the permissions with my slightly updated zip. post png resizes and unix format desc. same, it doesnt work with the newer files either.

sorry, I'm out of ideas. Is your updated bootanimation.zip on your website? I will check it out when I get home and see if I can get it to work. Can't do much more while I'm at work, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
It was one of two things(or both):

Windows adds a hidden file 'thumbs.db' in the zip that I removed (not sure if it was there in your zip or added when I zipped it back up after looking at it),

or

in the desc.txt, I edited it in notepadd++ to add the line breaks so it appears as:

1: 480 854 25
2: p 1 0 part0
3:

before it showed with no line breaks. I forgot it is under Edit > EOL Conversion, rather than the 'save as' in notepad++. I'm not positive the last line break (empty line 3) is necessary, but I remember reading in a thread a while ago that you needed it so always add it anyways. Doesn't hurt it to have it there, either way.

If you want to PM me I can send it to a gmail account or ftp or what have you.

BTW, looks nice but runs a little laggy. You may try cutting the resolution in half. android will stretch it to fit the resolution in the desc.txt file.

[Edit:] Cut the resolution in half and it didn't affect the quality too much IMO, but it ran a too fast now :p About three seconds of black afterwards.. but it also cut the file size down to ~8MB.

Upvote 0
you are THE awesome. gonna play with it now, see if i can get it working and see if i can get it running nice. THANK YOU!

btw i didnt have an hidden thumbs file, which means that i was right, so stupidly simple that it shouldnt have mattered. damn like break from hell, but it works now so im adding more frames and scaling them all down. let me know if you want a copy if i get it working nice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones