• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem with P3Droid kernel and CPU Temp

Helenoftroy08

Android Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2009
I am using a P3Droid 800 low voltage kernel. Before, setcpu would read the OMAP3 temp. It will not do so any longer. I installed temp monitor and asked it to display cpu temp on the screen and it told me that I was not using a Tasmanian custom droid kernel? So I basically cannot utilize the cpu temp function with P3Droid's kernel. Any suggestions?! Thanks in advance!:D

I am using a P3Droid 800 low voltage kernel. Before, setcpu would read the OMAP3 temp. It will not do so any longer. I installed temp monitor and asked it to display cpu temp on the screen and it told me that I was not using a Tasmanian custom droid kernel? So I basically cannot utilize the cpu temp function with P3Droid's kernel. Any suggestions?! Thanks in advance!:D

I also noticed that none of the 800Mhz kernels have the temperature monitoring for OMAP temperatures. Without looking into that particular driver I wouldn't know why that is the case, but pretty much the pattern is consistent across all 800Mhz kernels - no CPU temperature. Try bumping up to a 1Ghz kernel and you will probably see temperatures again.

Anybody with knowledge of that driver know why 800Mhz kernels don't support OMAP temp. monitoring?

Upvote 0
I also noticed that none of the 800Mhz kernels have the temperature monitoring for OMAP temperatures. Without looking into that particular driver I wouldn't know why that is the case, but pretty much the pattern is consistent across all 800Mhz kernels - no CPU temperature. Try bumping up to a 1Ghz kernel and you will probably see temperatures again.

Anybody with knowledge of that driver know why 800Mhz kernels don't support OMAP temp. monitoring?

I'm using Chevy's low voltage 800 kernel now and it is monitoring the OMAP temp for me so I'm happy with that! Still no idea why P3Droid's no longer works. I emailed P3 but no response as of yet.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. I have Moto Droid (1) stock FRG22D rooted and P3Droid Kernel installed. I tried lv125-1000 32vkernel and the 250 version. No CPU Temp. I am using SetCPU where I was able to go into info and see the temp of the OMAP3. I have used P3Droid in the past when we were all at 2.1update and was able to see the temp of the processor. This issue has been discussed in other forums, but none dated in early September. I haven't seen any replies with a solution. When installing the Kernel I did two different ways... 1)root directory and change the name to update.zip. (yes, only one .zip appeared) and kernel successfully installed but no cpu temp. 2)used clockwork mod to navigate to the area of my SD card where the original Kernel was downloaded and installed the zip. I chose a different P3Droid Kernel just to make sure it was flashing and it was successful, however, no CPU temp.

Any takers??

ps I posted in other forums as MrRChitty the same question.

Upvote 0
Okay... So, I just installed CyanogenMod 6 last night. I flashed the low voltage 125-1000MHz P3Droid froyo kernel today. I'm actually getting quite a lot of SetCPU force closes. I will try the 250-1000MHz kernel too.

SetCPU and Temp monitor both show CPU temp, but my Temperature profile doesn't activate when it gets to the set temp level. I was using BB v.05 with a lv chevyno1 kernel before and the temperature profile would kick in and lower my clock speed automatically. This is not working with the P3Droid kernel. However, my charging and battery level profiles activate appropriately.

The TempMonitor error that doesn't let you view CPU temps is because you don't have the paid version of the app and I think in the market it tells you that you have to be using a Droid 1 for it to show CPU temp. The tazmanian error thing only came up when I had the free version. Also the SetCPU widget can be set to show CPU temperature as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones