• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem with people hearing me

mcasdorph

Jul 21, 2012
I've had multiple people tell me that they have trouble hearing me on the Zmax 2 phone, I contacted ZTE about it asking if there was a way to adjust the mic gain or what ever its called, they flat out told me no but pressing the volume up button while in call might help. I don't know what kind of idiots they hire to give advice like that, that obviously will not do anything for my voice as it only works the volume in your ear.. Otherwise they told me there was no way to adjust it, I also own a ZTE Radiant of course it had a custom rom on it but even with stock rom I had no problems with ppl hearing me, also the 3mp camera is actually better than the 8mp camera on the Zmax 2, Other than the screen size, I'm so disappointed with ZTE for putting a phone out with a horrible camera and horrible mic. I have read that if you can get into Engineering mode on the phone you can in fact adjust the mic, but I'm having problems finding information for this model to get into that mode.

Is there a way to send the phone into engineering mode using ADB? I wish Hoark13 could help me, hopefully he sees this thread and gives some input on it, I can't DM him and didn't want to ask in his other threads.

Reactions: kathyjolegros
Does it make a difference if you use a headset? (wired or BT)

I don't know, I don't have a headset.

Yo had this problem with a couple devices, i keep the bigger ones upside down in back pocket leaving recieving mic exposed. That little bitty hole on bottom of device. Carefully use a needle to clean out any dirt or pocket lint that may be clogging it. Hope it helps

I wondered about that and I've been meaning to take it apart to see if its clogged, its hard to see and I don't want to just poke through the hole with the plastic on it and risk damaging the mic.

Upvote 0
Look up a teardown video and see if you cant find out exact positioning of mic, you would think it to be close but after a couple hundred phone repairs iv found things to be quit strange when dealing with micro technology, the reciever usually being flat and connected by contacts not wire. Zmax teardown involves adhesive if im not mistaken :/ a through the front aproach, doable but bleh even for skilled person. Like jailbreaking a nand ps3 vs a nor one lol :) (your rite to use caution)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones