• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root problem with rom manager

rhod

Oct 26, 2010
rooted my phone today.. few clitches during it and had a lot of help from D-U-R-X and el presidente today so thanks to them for that! i have got to the stage of flashing a new rom (s-off etc all done) and have encountered another problem. Before I chose and downloaded the rom i wanted, i saw a few posts about formatting and resetting on the first time flash so i rebooted into recovery and did so. unfortunately now im left with a phone running 2.2 and cant flash! i had to reinstall rom manager after the reset and whatever i do in rom manager is saying its umable to run privileged commands i.e root?!? do i need to downloaded visionary again and repeat the whole process cos i thought i had perm rooted! any ideas??

thanks

rooted my phone today.. few clitches during it and had a lot of help from D-U-R-X and el presidente today so thanks to them for that! i have got to the stage of flashing a new rom (s-off etc all done) and have encountered another problem. Before I chose and downloaded the rom i wanted, i saw a few posts about formatting and resetting on the first time flash so i rebooted into recovery and did so. unfortunately now im left with a phone running 2.2 and cant flash! i had to reinstall rom manager after the reset and whatever i do in rom manager is saying its umable to run privileged commands i.e root?!? do i need to downloaded visionary again and repeat the whole process cos i thought i had perm rooted! any ideas??

thanks

rhod - back a bit quicker than I thought!

Gutted that it appears that you have lost root, although I'm not sure how!! :thinking:

You defo downgraded earlier - try installing visionary again and temp/perm rooting! As you've downgraded, I think that's all you should have to do!!

EDIT - I don't think it can hurt to at least try

Upvote 0
rhod - back a bit quicker than I thought!

Gutted that it appears that you have lost root, although I'm not sure how!! :thinking:

You defo downgraded earlier - try installing visionary again and temp/perm rooting! As you've downgraded, I think that's all you should have to do!!

EDIT - I don't think it can hurt to at least try

thanks pal. managed to get into the clockworkmod recoery screen by holding down volume and in the process of restoring saved image. will then try cm7 ive got saved on sdcard. otherwise im gonna leave it for tonight as i need the work pc for the visionary stuff so ill let you know if it works tomorrow. nice one

Upvote 0
thanks pal. managed to get into the clockworkmod recoery screen by holding down volume and in the process of restoring saved image. will then try cm7 ive got saved on sdcard. otherwise im gonna leave it for tonight as i need the work pc for the visionary stuff so ill let you know if it works tomorrow. nice one

Oh yeah - sh!t... should have thought of that!!!

EDIT - gotta love clockwork! Saves your bacon!!

If you've got CM7 on your SD card, I'd go for it... doesn't take too long... you do a wipe, etc and then install all from CWM! :)

Upvote 0
Oh yeah - sh!t... should have thought of that!!!

If you've got CM7 on your SD card, I'd go for it... doesn't take too long... you do a wipe, etc and then install all from CWM! :)

BOOM! sorted it. restored the first image i saved with had super user and visionary on it and then used rom manager to flash cm7. it took less than 2 mins for the whole thing which i find bizarre! cm7 is lush though. prob get bored in a week and try another one.

can finally enjoy android!!

Upvote 0
BOOM! sorted it. restored the first image i saved with had super user and visionary on it

Sweeeeeeet! :)

and then used rom manager to flash cm7. it took less than 2 mins for the whole thing which i find bizarre!

Well... at least it's sorted now!

cm7 is lush

Yeah - I think it's quite good too!

though. prob get bored in a week and try another one.

I have had it for 6/8 weeks, so I could give it a fair go... about to change though (to LeeDroid, I think)

can finally enjoy android!!

All good mate... glad you got it sorted!!

EDIT - Android as it should be
:D

Upvote 0
cwm recovery has a usb something option too - lets you mount the sd card like it would when inside the rom and plug it into your pc - at this point you can copy over a new rom if you need to and flash it on the spot (as far as im aware, havent tried it myself but have read up about it). helps if you wipe by accident and dont have a rom or backup handy - someone else can verify this though.

defo does :D

Upvote 0
can you create as many backups as you want with rom manager? sorted out cm7 as i want it with all my apps and want to make a backup but already have one backup stored.

There's nothing to stop you making as many backups as you want. I'd copy them to your computer though... I downloaded "ROM Manager Janitor" from the market (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.Gnathonic.RomJanitor&feature=search_result) and it cleans up any old backups you have - I saved myself loads of space (approx 700mb) which, although not a massive premium on your SD card, is still quite a bit! :)

EDIT - I'm sure I've read on here that some people back up once a week... I think thata's more for people on nightly builds though!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones