1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Problem with Samsung email app (S6 and now S7 too)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by klamerus@pobox.com, Mar 21, 2016.

1. klamerus@pobox.com

None

Jul 15, 2010
    I just went through several sessions with different levels of support in Samsung.

The email application Samsung includes with their Android phones ignores the sort order you specify in the contacts app (which they also supply).

Their other apps (text, phone) honor the display and sort order specified in contacts (which I have as last name first), but email will always do first name first.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Well the phone app and contacts app are usually the same thing (just icons that open the same app in different tabs), so it would be surprising if their behaviour was different.

If that's the way Samsung have coded it then all I can think of is either checking the settings of the email app (in case there is an option there) or seeing whether a different email app would behave differently. I just tested that with AquaMail, and it turns out that that app's "internal contact picker" only does first name first, but if I select to use the "system contact picker" it followed the order I select in my phone/contacts app. This is with a HTC though, so no guarantees what will happen with a Samsung.

Edit: Just remembered that I had a Samsung tablet with me as well, so was able to test it. And yes, Aquamail behaves the same as on my phone: system contact picker sorts last name first if that's what I set in the contacts app (haven't ever set up the Samsung email app so can't really test that).

#2 Hadron, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    KOLIO likes this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Isn't that because the email is tagged according to what the sender sets as his name? The name you see on your email inbox as part of the header is part of the email. It's not pulled from your contacts.

In the SMS app, what you receive is a file with the message, and the tag of the sending phone number. Note that when the phone number sending you a message isn't in your phone book, it only shows a number. This number is crossmatched with your contacts to see to whom it belongs to, hence it follows the sort order in your contacts app.

However, when receiving an email from an unknown sender still has the sender's name on the header. You'll see the email comes from someone named John Doe for example. This is because part of the email sent to you has a sender tag, which is specified by the sender. I don't think the sender email tag specifies last and first name, rather it's just a single line. As far as I know, this is how emails work, even when using them on the web. Even when you manage your contacts on Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook or whatever email you have on their websites to show last name first when you list them, the email coming from them ignores this.

4. klamerus@pobox.com

None

Jul 15, 2010
    Well, the issue isn't with received documents. It's with authoring new email. When I go to select who to mail to. I have hundreds of contacts, so it's frustrating, but I certainly don't have email from all these people. It's a sync from my office email system (Exchange). It syncs find and the order and data is all fine in contacts. It's truly an issue with their email.

I did eventually call Samsung and they said that yes, that's the way their mail application works. It ignores what's set in contacts. Apparently they bought it and/or resell it. So, it's just rather stupid. I either have to live with it or switch to another Android or iPhone.

5. klamerus@pobox.com

None

Jul 15, 2010
    They also set there is no setting for order.

Forgot to add that this isn't an artifact of being an email app. I have an iPad and it works properly everywhere. Thanks for the posts though.

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    No, it's not an artifact of being an email app, it's a property of the contact picker in that specific email app. So you don't have to switch to a different device, you just use a different email app. I've given an example of an email app that lets you do what you want to do, and tested that it works on a Samsung device (Note 10.1 2014 running 5.1.1, to be precise). There will be others that also let you do this too.

There are almost always better alternatives to the built in apps anyway, so you don't have to settle for what the manufacturer included.

chanchan05 likes this.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    What Hadron said is true. You can always use another app. Gmail, Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail), and Yahoo! all have their own email apps, which can also handle other domains (you can use your Outlook email on the Gmail app or vice versa for instance). You just need to look for another email app.

8. klamerus@pobox.com

None

Jul 15, 2010
    Well, yes I know. It's a bit of venting.

That said, it's also true that the company I work at only supports using the native apps of 2 devices, iPhone and Galaxies at this time. I'm unable to use another email app so far as I know, but I do have a couple I do like, so I'll give them a shot.

It's just a shame that Apple seems to have this usability type of stuff down so much better than Samsung.

BTW< nice avatar guys.