1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Problem with screen protectors...really strange!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmcook79, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jmcook79

jmcook79 Android Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    I ordered [​IMG]these from eBay and the first one had a really bad orange peel/rainbow effect so I thought it was defective. Turns out 3 out of the 6 pack all looked like this. At that point I gave up assuming all of them are that way. It's strange because I've never had this with any regular static screen protector. They feel high quality and look great on a light background but when the screen is off or on a dark background they look like crap. Has anyone else used this brand? Could I just have gotten a bad batch? I tried taking pictures but I can't get it to show up. Update: I got it to show up on a picture. The orange peel is actually a reflection of my ceiling the colors are the problem.
    [​IMG]

I just had a thought. This couldn't be an effect of the nano water resistant coating could it? It's not really orange peel but the effect is similar to gasoline like this except the spots are tiny but they have a purplish hue. Just my luck I finally master the art of applying one of these damn things and this happens lol.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    That looks like water under the shield. Have you tried squeege-ing (is that a word?) the water out toward the edges? I get a similar effect on a Zagg shield before I get the water out.

3. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    Actually that's a picture of gasoline in water I found online. I couldn't get the actual screen protector to show up in a picture so you could see what I'm talking about. The picture is what it resembles. It's a dry screen protector and I didn't use water.

I sent a message to the seller and in the meantime ordered another brand. The only thing I don't like is the cutouts aren't as precise but they will do. They were on sale for $2.99 for a 10 pack.

4. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    Well I got an Otterbox Commuter and the included screen protector does the same thing! Here is a picture I was finally able to get it to show up. I didn't bother getting the bubbles out because I knew I was going to take it off. The orange peel is actually just a reflection of my ceiling, the colors are the problem.

I notice the bare screen has a pinkish tint and so does my ex-wife's. Could this have something to do with it?[​IMG]

KOLIO likes this.
  5. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    Here's a picture of the Otterbox one and the supershieldz on the screen of my laptop. At least now I know it's not my phone and I'm not crazy lol. It's just weird that totally unrelated brands would do the same thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lanceg

lanceg Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    I got a skinomi screen protector and after a day it is smooth as glass. You could try that one I got mine off Amazon.

7. jmcook79

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    I have heard good things about them and since water beads up due to the nano coating I could probably use the phone sooner than 24 hours couldn't I? I always use a microfiber cloth around the squeegee anyways so it should soak it up.

8. lanceg

lanceg Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Funny, my skino started to bubble up. Weird.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.