1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Problem with SD card apps on phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jakob95, Aug 29, 2011.

1. jakob95

jakob95 Well-Known Member

Okay I have some problems. I never had these problems before on Froyo. I got them after I updated to Gingerbread. First problem that I have is when I turn off my phone and turn it back on my apps disappear from my folder and my app drawer, only the apps that are on my SD card. To fix this I have to go and unmount my SD card then remount it, then I have to force close HTC sense launcher and press home. Then everything is back to normal. Its just really annoying to do this all the time.

Next problem I have on the top were my notifications are it sometimes says I have a new notification but when I scroll it down I don't. Sometimes it disappears sometimes it doesn't.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Interesting. Here's a couple posts from XDA that have to do with Nils Gingersense 3.0 version 2.1:

And in reference to the above quote:

Almost sounds like all you guys are treading in similar waters? I don't have any answer but just trying to connect dots that may be related. Here's the related thread (posts #1714 and #1721):

[ROM] Nils' Business GingerSense 3.0 (8/23/11 V2.1) - xda-developers

Nils is a member of this forum also. Hopefully he can piece this all together. I'm just trying to draw parallels between seemingly similar posts but I may be reaching for something that's not there.

3. jakob95

Yeah but I am not running Nils ROM. I am running the OTA 2.3 ROM that was leaked.

4. iowabowtech

I know but it's also based on 2.3.4 same as the OTA. That said, it has Sense 3.0 interlaced so it can't be exactly compared. Just thought there were some interesting similarities.

5. jakob95

So how can I fix my problem?

6. iowabowtech

How about moving the contents off the card and try a reformat. If you loaded the leak from the SD card, you're already FAT32. If you used the RUU with the phone hooked up to the PC, your card might benefit from formatting. If the latter is the case, move the contents off the card and hook up to the PC in disk drive mode. Then when it recognizes the card it'll show up as a drive...right click and do a full format to FAT32. Then replace files and retry. Be careful not to accidentally format the internal storage as it will also show up as a drive. If you already know all the above sorry for the over-explanation.

If the format fails, I'd try a new card.

7. jakob95

My card isn't FAT32 its just FAT. Its also a 2GB memory stick.

8. iowabowtech

Ok, well if you try the reformat then, let us know if it fixed your problem. IMO, the FAT32 format seems to play better with this phone. Don't forget to move your current files off the card perhaps to the PC desktop, as the card will be wiped of course.

9. jakob95

For my 2G card what format should I do unit size? It asks me for Allocation unit size, 4096 Bytes is the first option it gave me when I switched to FAT32 do I use that? If I press on it I can also do 2048 Bytes and more. Which do I do?

10. iowabowtech

I've just always used the default it pops up, then format to FAT32, then move my folders and files back on the card when it's done.

11. jakob95

Ok I did all that. Now turning the phone back on to see if the apps are there or not.

12. iowabowtech

Crosses fingers.

13. jakob95

Crap still have the problem.

14. iowabowtech

So these are only the apps on the SD that do this right? How many apps do you have there?

15. iowabowtech

And also, how much free space do you have on the card?

16. jakob95

I have like 5 apps I think. There is 785MB free.

17. iowabowtech

Only other thing I can think of without switching cards is to go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > On SD card and for any apps that have the green checkbox, press on them and "move to phone". Just get those 5 off the card and be done with it. It's not like you have a ton of apps there for space management purposes right?

18. jakob95

I could do that. But I really wanted to solve this problem. Another thing I can't move Netflix since then I get the low memory warning.

19. iowabowtech

Have you ever been rooted? I'm just wondering if your bootloader is s-off or not.

20. jakob95

I was rooted on Froyo and then I updated with the leaked GB so I guess I am still rooted..

21. iowabowtech

Well as long as you're still s-off, at least you can get out of this if you want. I've been reading up on this on other forums and it sounds like an all too common problem with certain Gingerbread...leaks in particular. It's happened across multiple phones. If it becomes too much of a bother, I'd consider flashing a rom instead. If you did the RUU to get GB, you'll be unrooted now but with s-off, you can get it back. Maybe they'll deal with this issue specifically in the final, official release.

22. jakob95

Whats funny is that Netflix is on my SD card. Yet that still is in the app drawer while the other 4 apps aren't. Maybe its because those other 4 apps are in a folder?

23. iowabowtech

Could be due to the folder but looks like this issue is starting to pop up regularly now as the OTA is rolling out. They didn't fix it.

24. jakob95

Other people have the same problem too?

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews