1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

problem with Super backup restoring

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by 57ringo, Jun 20, 2017.

1. 57ringo

57ringo Lurker

I'm on Straight talk-verizon * bought a Galaxy S5 to replace my S3. I backed up my contacts, SMS, & call logs. I transfered my # to the new phone downloaded the APP and restored my contacts just fine. When I tried to restore my text messages it asked what to use...Internet, Chrome or something else and of course not know what to do, I hit internet I think,and now it & call logs, won't do anything. I can see the call log and SMS file, tap on it like it says but nothing happens. What can I do to restore them? I'm older and this stuff drives me crazy...always a fork in the road & I take the wrong road. Any help would really be appreciated!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

So when you made the backup where did you tell it to back up to? The simplest for my mind is to tell it to backup to the sd card, swap the card into the new phone, then tell the app on the new phone to restore from there.

If you told it to save the backup in the cloud somewhere (i.e on some Internet-connected server) you'll have to tell the app on the new phone to look on the same place (same account on whatever system is used). I've never bothered with this, so can't advise in more detail, just that you'll have to set it up the same way on both.

If you think the app on the new phone is set up wrong and you can't see how to change the settings, just clear the app's data so that it starts from fresh.

But there's probably a simpler way anyway: Samsung have an app called I think "smart switch" which can be used to copy data like this from one phone to another. Many manufacturers have something like this, where you install the app on old and new phones and it uses WiFi to copy your data to the new phone.

3. 57ringo

57ringo Lurker

I saved it to my gmail. I uninstalled the app and started over but it didn't help

4. Hadron

VIP Member

The app whose logo appears on this thread doesn't have an option to back up to Gmail - options are local, Google drive or Dropbox. Can you confirm exactly what app it is you are using (app name and developer name for safety, as appropriate names are not unique).

5. Hadron

VIP Member

Thanks. Ok, so not the app this has been tagged under, and not one I've used at all unfortunately.

I might ask whether one of the moderators can move this so it is more likely to be seen by people who have used that app.

6. 57ringo

57ringo Lurker

ok thank you

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

It doesn't appear that there is a channel for the app you are using. Please install this (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.androidforumscom) app and on the Forums tab scroll down until you find the app backup app you used and tap on it. Once in the channel create a thread to create the channel. You can simply use Temp as the title and body. This will create a channel and I can move the thread into it.

8. 57ringo

57ringo Lurker

I'm on my pc not my phone so what do I need to do to move it?...and all that is WAY above my head & I know I'd just get fowled up and po'ed

SMS Backup & Restore

SMS Backup & Restore Forum

com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

SMS Backup & Restore is a simple Android app that backs up and restores your phone's SMS and MMS messages and call logs. Note: This app can only restore messages and call logs that were backed up by it before they were deleted. Advanced messaging (RCS) is not supported. For questions or issues please visit our FAQ at: https://synctech.com.au/sms-faqs/ APP FEATURES: - Backup SMS (text) messages, MMS and call logs in XML format. - Local device backup with options to automatically upload to Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive - Choose a recurring scheduled time to automatically backup - Option to select which conversations to backup or restore - View and drill into your local and cloud backups - Search your backups - Restore/transfer backup to another phone. Backup format is independent of the Android version so the messages and logs can be easily transferred from one phone to another, irrespective of the version. - Fast Transfer between 2 phones over WiFi direct - Ability to restore all messages or only selected conversations. - Free up space on your phone. Delete all SMS messages or call logs on the Phone. - Email a backup file. - The XML backup can be converted to other formats, and can also be viewed on a computer. Notes: - Tested on Android 5.0 and higher - App only restores backups made by this app - Please start the app at least once after updates so that the scheduled backups start working. - Backup is created locally on the phone by default, but you have the option to upload to Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or Email. You are responsible for backup files. At no time are the files sent to the developer. - If you intend to do a factory reset on the phone, please make sure you save/email a copy of the backup outside the phone before doing it. - If you have performed the Restore and the messages don't appear in your messaging app then: - Open your messaging app and disable SMS from Settings. - Exit the app - Open the app again and enable SMS from Settings. This App needs access to the following: * Your messages: Backup and Restore messages. Receive SMS permission needed to properly handle messages received while the app is the default messaging app. * Your Calls and Contact information: Backup and Restore Call Logs. * Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card. * Network view and communication: Allows the app to connect to wifi for backup * Your social information: To display and store the contact names in the Backup file. * Run at start-up: Start scheduled Backups. * Prevent Phone from Sleeping: To prevent the phone from going to sleep/suspended state while a Backup or Restore operation is in progress. * Test access to Protected Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card. * Account Information: To authenticate with Google Drive and Gmail for cloud uploads SyncTech Pty Ltd has taken over the development and maintenance of SMS Backup & Restore. Please send any enquiries to support@synctech.com.au or visit http://synctech.com.au

READ MORE
March 4, 2020
Last Updated
Rating
10M+
Installs