1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Problem with tap screen on my phone to wake screen

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jo69, Jul 13, 2016.

1. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 29, 2013
    I have an LG G3 Phone and an LG Tablet.
    Always been able to double tap the screen to wake it.
    I now have a Samsung Galaxy S6 but unable to do this.
    Is this normal and why?

Advertisement

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Your new phone does not have that capability built-in & it's not a pure Android feature,LG originated it & some mfgs (HTC,For one example),have it,but,not double-tap to sleep.
    There are various apps in the Play Store that have similar functionality.
    If you plan on rooting your device,there may be some ROMS that have it,or,in an Xposed module.

3. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 29, 2013
    No don't want to root just tap lol.
    Is it a Samsung thing then?
    Wondered if it was the difference between Lollipop and Marshmallow that was causing it?

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    It's not actually a Samsung issue:
    Pure Android does not have Double-Tap to Sleep/Wake as a native function.
    The feature is catching on with other mfgs,but,Samsung hasn't added it to their arsenal yet.
    Perhaps we'll see it in the upcoming Note 7.
    Personally,I don't think they'll add it,as their home-base competitor,LG,came to the market with it 1st & I believe they don't want to be accused/called-out for "copying" their cross-town rival.

5. 12345Michael54

None

May 27, 2012
    I wouldn't characterize it that way.

"Tap to wake" is NOT a feature inherent to all - or even to most - Android phones.

Some companies build it into some of their phones. But it's simply an added feature. A phone which lacks this feature is not in any way broken or disabled. This holds true regardless of Android version - no difference in this area between Lollipop and Marshmallow.

It's rather how some phones have a built-in FM radio. Some don't.

But, just as one with a phone lacking a built-in FM radio can download an Android app which more or less mimics this capability (for example, TuneIn), so can one with a phone lacking a built-in tap-to-wake feature download an Android app which more or less mimics this capability (for example, KnockOn).

Disclaimer: I've never download a tap-to-wake app, and have no idea how well KnockOn works. It's simply offered by way of example. (TuneIn is a wonderful app, however. I use it almost every day, and have for a couple of years now.)

mikedt and KOLIO like this.
  6. jo69

jo69 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 29, 2013
    I have an lg phone and tablet. Also a Asus tablet and can tap the screen with them all. That's what makes it annoying.
    I miss it.
    Also....Are there 2 versions of the Samsung S6? ( Not the Edge)
    As every time I ask Google for advice regarding my phone the answers are often different menus that I am unable to find. :(

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China

Here's some menus you find on certain Oppo phones
    , but you might not find on a Samsung or an LG or whatever.

taptowake.jpg

My last couple phones have been Oppo, and got so used to tapping the screen to wake it, and the other things as well. At the same time I also had a Samsung S4, and then wondering why when I tapped the screen on that nothing happened, and there's no menus for them either of course, because they're NOT stock features of Android in general.

Things like this could be patented as well, and Samsung these days might be a bit more careful about not infringing on other manufacturers' intellectual property rights, or doesn't wish to incur the considerable expense of licensing possibly...$$$....or even just doesn't consider it to be an important feature for their devices.

#7 mikedt, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016