• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with the clock! / Time Keeps Changing Despite Settings

I contacted Samsung about this problem. They basically said that they do not support this model, and there is nothing they can do. They pointed me to the carrier, who has responsibility for technical support. In my case, that would be TracFone. If you want to read the complete email, scroll down to the bottom of this link:

Samsung Galaxy Centura - Time Keeping Issue

I also submitted a bug report to the Android Open Source Project:

Issue 73627: Clock regularly skews by 5 hours

Maybe that will help.

Jon

Upvote 0
is there a stand alone clock that doesn't use system time or am I gonna have to buy an alarm clock. I'm in pacific and ny phone goes back eight hours

I wrote a clock app that syncs with GPS. So far, it keeps accurate time, and does not use the cell phone's system time. I have yet to include an alarm function. I might submit it to Google Play in a few months.....

Jon

Upvote 0
Props to you. How long has it been tested and on how many Centura And. 4.0.4, etc? Are you saying GPS will need to be on all the time to ensure 100% accuracy?

Just thinking out loud with you.

Remember, I have not included an alarm function yet, but the clock App itself has been running continuously on my Centura for up to four days at a time without skipping a beat. During that time, the system clock has lost 5 hours, and then reset itself to the correct time at least twice. I will test it on my wife's Centura once I have included the alarm function.

The only time that the GPS satellite is contacted for the correct time, is whenever the App comes to the foreground, or you manually click on a 'time sync' button. I also have a version that uses a wifi connection, and uses a SNTP server for the time sync information.

Jon

Upvote 0
I appreciate this somewhat temporary fix, but I wish we could get to the root of the problem. I don't use my Centura anymore, went to an S3 awhile back, but I just still check these forums regularly.
But wouldn't the gps function have to be always on for it to use gps? Our does your app turn it on and back off?

Upvote 0
I appreciate this somewhat temporary fix, but I wish we could get to the root of the problem. I don't use my Centura anymore, went to an S3 awhile back, but I just still check these forums regularly.
But wouldn't the gps function have to be always on for it to use gps? Our does your app turn it on and back off?

If you look at TracFone's response to the problem, I don't think we will ever see a vendor supplied fix:

Samsung Galaxy Centura - Time Keeping Issue

There is a way to turn GPS on and off via a program. I'll have to try that out.

Jon

Upvote 0
Add me to the list of people having this problem. I live in Iowa (central time), and it frequently jumps 6 hrs. I'm not positive whether it's forward or back, but I think it's back. I had thought maybe it was forgetting the time zone setting and going to GMT, but that's only 5 hrs different, unless it's also forgetting the DST setting. It seems like that would go the other way, though. This issue made me late for work this morning, and I was not impressed.
This isn't the only problem I've had. The phone also locks up frequently, requiring a reboot (hold the power key until the phone restarts), among several other issues. I've thought maybe it had something to do with it being a refurbished phone I paid $20 for. I've been seriously considering getting a new phone, but I can't afford to pay much. The S3 won't work for me if it runs off Sprint's network, as Verizon towers are all I can get from home.

My phone specs:
Samsung Galaxy Centura (SCH-S738C)(Straight Talk)
Android version 4.0.4
Baseband version S738CWYMJ1
Kernel version 3.0.8-1251199

Upvote 0
I bought the Samsung Galaxy Centura (Straight Talk) at Walmart on 9/12/14 and noticed the time problem going back 6 hours after about 2 weeks. I tried changing the settings, etc but did not fix the problem. I took the phone back to Walmart on 10/1/14 and exchanged it for another.

This became a major headache because when Walmart scanned my phone to return, the phone deactivated and ST couldn't find my account anymore:mad:. I lost my phone number and I spent 2 hours with Straight Talk to get my replacement phone activated since they couldn't find me in their system.

After finally getting my replacement phone activated the clock reset 6 hours back in less than 24 hours. I took this phone back to Walmart on 10/3/14 and got another Centura phone (3rd phone). Sure enough I have the same problem on this phone as well!

My wife has the same phone and has not had this problem. One of the differences between her phone and mine is that her phone fails to do a system update and I was always doing the system update on mine. Not sure if it is related to the clock problem or not.

I compared the two phones and there is a difference between her build and kernel than mine. Both have the Android 4.0.4 and model SCH-S738C.

My phone has the following:
Baseband version: S738CWYMJ1
Kernel version: 3.0.8-1251199
Build number: IMM76D.S738CWYAMJ1

My wife's phone has:
Baseband version: S738CWYMC1
Kernel version: 3.0.8-1207620
Build number: IMM76D.S738CWYAMC1

I am sure this difference between the two is related because the phone my wife is currently using was purchased in August when she lost her old Centura. Well, I found her lost phone today when I cleaned out the car:D. I charged it up and the clock is current on it. I checked the version and her old phone has the same version (Baseband, Kernel, and Build) as her current one. So both of her phone builds are different than mine. She never had the problem with her clock on her old phone either!

As a result I am going to take my phone back to Walmart and get her old phone activated under my name. I will repost if I exerpience the problem with her old phone. I hope this helps someone in trying to figure out the cause of the clock problem.

Upvote 0
This is an update from my earlier post. I called Straight Talk and got my wife's old phone activated under my name. My wife never had a problem with the clock changing on any of her 2 Centura phones. I did a factory reset on the device, signed into my gmail account and did a restore from backup. I then got the phone activated under my name.

Well, several hours later the clock reset 6 hours back on it. I verified that the build and kernel wasn't changed and they weren't (still matched my wife's current phone that she has no problem with). So my hypothesis was incorrect thinking it had something to do with the versions. I did notice the phone that I switched from and was not active with the carrier still showed the correct time.

So I did another factory reset on my wife's old phone that I got activated and this time I did sign in with my gmail account but did NOT do a restore from backup, didn't install the system update when prompted or install any apps. The only thing I did was update the google apps that are native to the install.

Again, several hours later the clock was reset again! I checked the new phone I switched from and it still showed the correct time. So I did another factory reset on my wife's old phone and selected restore from back up, installed system update and my apps, etc. figuring I will just have to live with the clock resetting at times.

Since I did the latest reset and installed my apps so far the clock hasn't reset (been about 12 hours). However I fully expect it to happen in the near future. When I checked the new phone I switch from tonight the clock was reset on it (after about 36 hours).

From all my experimentation I have no idea why this is happening. It doesn't seem to matter if the phone is active with a carrier or not, if apps installed on it or not, or what version it is using. I will keep using my wife's old phone because it is still better than my previous android phone (that had no memory to install apps). I don't have anything that relies on the clock. I don't use it as my alarm, etc. Maybe Santa will bring me a higher end phone in a couple of months for Christmas!

Upvote 0
I've had an S738C on StraightTalk for almost a year, and have had this clock problem the whole time. Recently I started hammering ST support about it and actually went and did the factory reset with no positive result. They have offered to send me a replacement, but only of the same model. Further, I have to send my old phone back first. This might be worth it if they could guarantee that it would fix the problem, but I'm pretty certain that it won't. I was speaking to a "floor supervisor" or something, and she told me that I was the only person who has ever reported this issue. What a crock.

Upvote 0
I found that my global clock settings in my calander app were set to a time zone in Australia. I corrected that setting in the calander app and so far so good the clock is keeping the correct time. I will reply back and update this thread if this "fix" fails to solve the problem.
thank you!!! this fixed my issue with time zone changing. I don't quite understand why the calendar overwrites the main settings but now I don't care. I'm a mi3 owner using miui.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
thank you!!! this fixed my issue with time zone changing. I don't quite understand why the calendar overwrites the main settings but now I don't care. I'm a mi3 owner using miui.

I wish this was the fix but it has done been tried without avail. Many coincidences happen when trying to fix this time problem lol. I use an S3 now but still have my Centura for a back up. It's been idling in airplane mode for awhile now. The time has still been changing with no mobile network. My calendar has been set correctly, btw. Immediately after turning the mobile radio on, it fixes the time correctly. I think that narrows it down to the phone itself, at least.

Upvote 0
what i like to know is why da **** are we all here talking about this rather then the engineers and developers of this platform doing this fix? its been months i been hearing about this? im sure this gotta be bad customers feed back on all Samsung phones running Android ! mines been doing the same shit for awhile now and sometimes it jumps a hour or sometimes 20 mins or even at times it just jump back in time like years in the past and trust me is not time traveling this **** its still seating in the docking station saying SEARCHING on both wifi and bluetooth only to find nothing , and even sometimes i open the phone and reassemble "im a cellphone technician" and when i reassemble time is still off and date as well BUT in seconds i noticed that it auto corrects its time and date and all of the sudden i start getting al sorts of notifications from like days ago or stupid games invites so at this point i know the issue has to be the hardware and something you cant replace like the processor where the firmware is at ? what ever the case is i dont see a update fixing this as im running on the newest update this note can have till this date, my question still remains why da hell aint SAMSUNG or ANDROID doing something about it.........

Upvote 0
Did you do the Factory Reset with the volume and power key and choose wipe data. Mine was messing up daily and even worse when the weather was bad. After the factory reset when you sign up for Gmail they will ask you can they use your location for anonymous data. Choose NO. Then use the setttings above and dont allow any APPS to use your location info. Mine has been perfect since. I was at the point I was gonna put it in Airplane MOde and see how far I could throw it. I have Straight Talk and I bought the 29$ Black Friday special last year.

I was not getting the prompt to "wipe data" after pressing the volume and power key. Should I alternately do it through the system settings menu and then press Factory data reset?

Upvote 0
After experiencing this problem for weeks, with the Centura's clock resetting itself (usually within hours of my setting it right) to -5 hours of Eastern Time, I'd been sufficiently inconvenienced to come here and read through all of this discussion (and one other) — little of which gave me hope the issue could be overcome. Nonetheless, over a weekend, I tried any idea which sounded remotely plausible. Most techniques provided no lasting fix, as documented by others here. But eventually, after I'd about given up, I got the clock working correctly.

My clock has kept perfect time for a week now. [fingers crossed]

Alas, I can't say for a certainty which trick (or combination of them) fixed it. Nor can I rule out the possibility that the now perfect time is a coincidence. But in the hope that this info might help someone else, here are the last few things I did, after which the clock has worked properly:

1) Installed and setup the ClockSync app, in rootless mode.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.org.amip.ClockSync

Given that no app can automatically reset the time on a phone (like mine) which has not been rooted, it does not seem like this should have fixed the problem. I installed ClockSync thinking that it would at least alert me when the clock was wrong. After setting my Preferences, I used its option to "sync manually with ClockSync help". In the week since, my phone's system time has remained perfectly in sync with "atomic time" (pool.ntp.org).

2) After previously and repeatedly trying every variation of Date & Time settings (in the system settings), I went back to my normal preference:

√ Automatic date & time
√ Automatic time zone

In the Location services settings, I have also enabled (only):

√ GPS satellites

3) On a whim, I disabled the 24-hour format in the phone's Date & Time settings. I personally prefer 24-hour time, and my phone had been set to use it since the day I bought it. This is the first time I've ever disabled it. I cannot think of any logical reason why this setting should make a difference — but than, this unresolved bug has defied logic.

If anyone duplicates any or all of these steps, with or without a positive result, I'd be curious to hear about it.

(UPDATES: I've shared more details and observations in later posts.)

Last edited:
Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
it's pretty simple the ic on this device where compromise and there no way to fix except to not trust samsung cellphones after this, and as far android go dont trust there updates stick to what works from stock any updates and is at your own risk, mines was working fine after six months of keeping my NOTE2 tmobile not in use with no battery, one day some 2months ago i plugged back in and out of no where my wifi works despite the fact that my date is off by at lease a decade or so and my time was wrong as well "not the same time as my wifi router" but guess what automatic update to internet time did its job and updated my time and date, everything was well till 3weeks ago not is like i just wanna bang this phone

Upvote 0
After experiencing this problem for weeks, with the Centura's clock resetting itself (usually within hours of my setting it right) to -5 hours of Eastern Time, I'd been sufficiently inconvenienced to come here and read through all of this discussion (and one other) — little of which gave me hope the issue could be overcome. Nonetheless, over a weekend, I tried any idea which sounded remotely plausible. Most techniques provided no lasting fix, as documented by others here. But eventually, after I'd about given up, I got the clock working correctly.

My clock has kept perfect time for a week now. [fingers crossed]

Alas, I can't say for a certainty which trick (or combination of them) fixed it. Nor can I rule out the possibility that the now perfect time is a coincidence. But in the hope that this info might help someone else, here are the last few things I did, after which the clock has worked properly:

1) Installed and setup the ClockSync app, in rootless mode.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.org.amip.ClockSync

Given that no app can automatically reset the time on a phone (like mine) which has not been rooted, it does not seem like this should have fixed the problem. I installed ClockSync thinking that it would at least alert me when the clock was wrong. After setting my Preferences, I used its option to "sync manually with ClockSync help". In the week since, my phone's system time has remained perfectly in sync with "atomic time" (pool.ntp.org).

2) After previously and repeatedly trying every variation of Date & Time settings (in the system settings), I went back to my normal preference:

√ Automatic date & time
√ Automatic time zone

In the Location services settings, I have also enabled (only):

√ GPS satellites

3) On a whim, I disabled the 24-hour format in the phone's Date & Time settings. I personally prefer 24-hour time, and my phone had been set to use it since the day I bought it. This is the first time I've ever disabled it. I cannot think of any logical reason why this setting should make a difference — but than, this unresolved bug has defied logic.

If anyone duplicates any or all of these steps, with or without a positive result, I'd be curious to hear about it.

If the original problem recurs, I'll come back here to post an update.

Thanks Myklbiz for your post about ClockSync app. I am in the process of trying your fix. There are quite a few other settings in ClockSync and I am wondering how you went about in the settings. i.e. Device resets seconds; sync on boot, to name just a few. Maybe I'm not reading your message correctly as to what should only be ticked in ClockSync settings. My first attempt after installing ClockSync resulted in a time change after a couple of hours of install. So whatever I did was either wrong, or it just isn't working for me. thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones